Alex

Alex Grant's Pearl Grey Mk3 G40

Alex
57 minutes ago, Yeti said:

It was Loveday and Bennett, then became Louth Volksworld with a lot of the same staff. If you pull out of the industrial estate and swing a left towards town, Volksworld is now about 400 yards down on the left. 

Aha! I wonder if Volksworld has any of the old dealership information. I doubt it. 

As as I understand it, L&B was bought out by Dixon Motors, and became Dixon Volkswagen until the group folded. It’s a shame, I would have liked to trace some history here but I doubt it’s possible. 

By comparison, I know someone with a really early “new” Mini. BMW Group has the most incredibly detailed records of everywhere that car went before it was sold. I’ve no illusion that I’ll uncover the same. 

The suggestion is that either it was a showroom car (built in January, registered on Northampton plates in June, at a dealer in Lincolnshire) or that it’s excess stock from the recession. This would apply to all HERP cars. 

One thing I do know is, it’s not a press car. But the plate implies it was registered by Volkswagen UK. 

Alex

Well, it's been a while. Figured I'd drop in and say hi.

The Polo is still here, obviously. Well, technically it's not as it's stashed in my parents' garage at the moment because we're having work done on the driveway and my garage is full of builders' tools. But I still have it. And, since my last update, I'm now a Dad of three. Because who needs sleep, and hobbies?

What's new? It's got boost return hoses for the first time:
30813859488_74028539cb_k.jpg42543B6D-86F5-4389-AE01-E8BD29146981 by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

This turned into a bit of a 'mare as I had most, but not all, of the required pipework and was missing the non-return valve that goes into the crankcase breather. Those weren't cheap to get hold of, but not too difficult to source via VW Heritage. And they're 100% worth every penny because I don't think it's ever run better than it does at the moment. I miss the hiss it made when changing gear, but it's smoother and seems quicker than it ever has. 

Ultimately that's the second most exciting thing fitted this year because... my eldest is no longer in ISOFIX seats. So he can go out in it with me, if I strap his booster into the passenger seat. This thing was my first car back when I was 17, it feels weird being a greying mid-30s Dad, taking my school-age son out in it. But he loves it.
44896863811_141f81a94a_b.jpgUntitled by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

So much, in fact, that he seems to think it's his. He'll be signing up on here before I know it:
42874420920_4d3f727e87_z.jpgA9B29D8E-FE89-438C-AF13-3F9963E83569 by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

We've been to a couple of car meets in it this summer. It needs a proper polish and wax, but I don't know when I'll get the time to do that. Maybe when the kids leave home...
29960424177_b866e21dd4_z.jpgUntitled by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

Just as well he does like it, as we've outgrown our family car (the Renault), which throws up the need to convoy:
29960321657_853c58f338_z.jpgUntitled by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

Thankfully, though, I've been able to get my hands on this as a daily. It's a beast - 184bhp, 2.0 TDI with a DSG box and pretty much all the options. Not a bad steer, either:
30813859998_fdabfac1f9_k.jpg5EBB691D-C1BB-46D1-AEAB-A0B50CB9D7D4 by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

This is better, though. Kept my car company for a few days. Good fun:
42874421560_a9024a9584_k.jpg4E43956F-1771-4F29-A2AC-CB16F899E7D3 by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

30813860398_53c92ad0f7_k.jpgB2A3AE38-CD33-489B-BB8A-FE630FE6DB9E by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

Up GTI was good fun as well. Not quite a complete hot hatch, but a giggle nonetheless.
44846775092_cafb8c859d_b.jpgUntitled by alexgrantuk, on Flickr

Not much else to report, really. It's just a good all-round day-to-day performance car. Quick, fairly frugal when you want, decent on a long journey, and becoming really quite unusual on the road. It gets quite a lot of attention these days, I guess because you just don't see them around. New tyres next...

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

Mclovin

Congrats on the kids mate, It's great being able to enjoy your passion with them ain't it 😎

Good to see the polo is still going well. It's amazing how many of the older club polo'ers still have one. Just a shame the forum has died such a death 

Alex

Yeah, it's brilliant when they share the interest. I've got two boys who are both into cars, it's sort of weird thinking back to how I was when I bought this one imagining that I'd still have it now. Life has changed quite a bit since... but then I've owned it half my life, so that's to be expected. 

And yes, the early turn-of-Millennium Club Polo members in particular seem to be very prone to hanging onto them. I can't see any reason to sell it, though the value of the parts within it are creeping up. 

kerrly

Yeah I still have my 16v Mk2 breadie (in many pieces) because it just seems pointless to sell a car I paid £50 for that one day I might get completed ha. 

Alex will be buried with this Polo Elvis style. 

jonPDpolo
6 minutes ago, kerrly said:

Yeah I still have my 16v Mk2 breadie (in many pieces) because it just seems pointless to sell a car I paid £50 for that one day I might get completed ha. 

Bugger me sideways, Ginge is alive!

I agree, either Jenson steals this away or Alex will be buried in it

Alex
1 hour ago, kerrly said:

What a waste! Haha! 

1 hour ago, jonPDpolo said:

Bugger me sideways, Ginge is alive!

I agree, either Jenson steals this away or Alex will be buried in it

My money is on Jenson having it. Though his younger brother Ewan has become equally fascinated, and we've yet to find out whether baby Eve has inherited the same love of cars. It's possible, poor girl.

The thing is, it's all very well keeping old cars alive, but the direction of travel isn't particularly accommodating in the UK. For example, I live in Cardiff and there's already talk of putting a 'Clean Air Zone' in the city centre over the next couple of years. Give it another 20 years and it'll probably be banned from the motorways if autonomous cars hit the mainstream. Personally I'm looking forward to having an electric daily, but despite by best intentions for the G40 I do feel like it's on the slow and steady path towards obsolescence. 

Unless I decide to do something crazy like convert it to battery power, of course. It's not a factory G40, so I'm a bit freer on that front. 

• Like 1

DonJon

I think our cars might be related! 😂 nice to see it being used. I use mine daily in the summer months and always look forward to it!

DE1D9BE1-61BB-45E8-A0E0-C1689FE46135.jpeg

• Like 1

Elijah

Lovely red g40 that was an import from Germany.

great car.