Louiss_wilsonn

VW 1.4 tdi intermittent starting problems

Louiss_wilsonn

Hi

I recently brought a 6n2 1.4 tdi polo, had massive problems with starting the car, turns out it was the battery as it was only 40ah battery! So I got that replaced and everything was fine, but recently it's doing the same, it just cranks over fast but doesn't fire, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't or it starts then dies about 2 seconds later and flashes up a battery light icon, I changed the fuel filter when I done the battery, any ideas what could be causing this? 

Thank you

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

Starting and dying 2~3 seconds later is classic immobiliser kicking in and killing the engine, I would start by seeing if there are any stored fault codes, especially any relating to "Start blocked by immobiliser" When you have the fault code/s post them in this thread and we can go from there. 

• Like 1

Louiss_wilsonn

Thanks for replying nige, thing is it's only died after starting twice since I've changed the battery(4 days ago) some of the time it cranks over but doesn't fire and most of the time it starts perfectly fine, unfortunately I don't have a code reader :( I have read somewhere about either a fuelpump relay/ecu relay/crankshaft sensor/engine temp sensor, or potentially the alternator on the way out? There does seem to be some dodgy wiring connecting to the alternator 

nige8021

There are many things that could be causing your symptoms, as I said earlier it does sound like a classic immobiliser problem, but without checking for any fault codes you could be replacing sensors/other items (£££'s) for no good reason.