Mk3 Black G40 Coupe

jonPDpolo

Think its about time I whacked up a thread for this as I've owned it over a month!

Since I sold my old 6n2, kinda fancied getting back into a polo and successive other old dub projects had failed to scratch the itch (Purple VR6 Corrado that never worked and a Tornado Pink Mk2 Scirocco with a GTi Engineering RE2000 8V conversion)

Also having done the VR6 thing, felt it was time to do the supercharged thing too :D

All the way back in February I fuelled up the A5 and went for a trek up the M1 to see @grungeisdead about a dog/geniune G40 that he was selling that had a tasty specification

After a long catch up and potter out in it, we came to a deal and I drove back a wrote up the advert for the RE2000 (which took a few months to sell!)

Finally got sorted for the weekend before All Types (13th May) settled in for a long train ride up to Leeds

p25Tjrv.jpg

zBWnYnD.jpg

VjS6Cy7.jpg

So two trains and two and bit hours later, got to the car

TRDUryv.jpg

And a sort out of stuff and gave it a quick clean

Quick run down of spec

Stainless exhaust

HnR Cup suspension with uprated ARB and rose jointed track arms (not sure on that, I've lost the advert and doing this by memory!

Stage two charger (with a stage four to be rebuilt :spiteful:)

EBC discs and pads

65 mm pulley

Boost gauge

Rest is standard G/mk2f stuff

So started off on my home, however car had other ideas, a gearbox issue that neither of us spotted or could've predicted reared its head, lost drive at 70mph on the M1 near Rotterham, managed to coast it off the carriageway at J33 and ended up having to be recovered home.

Saf being the awesome mega sound dude that he is sorted me another gearbox out and I organised collection of my car by my mates VW garage to get it swapped over

In meantime, the car sat on my drive looking sorry for itself so got new plates and holders on along with the obligatory WalshC pikeytech sticker in memory of our departed friend and legend Craig Walsh

V9ffFJw.jpg

gvyjSm0.jpg

Also at the same time refurbished the snowflakes I had left over from the scirocco with a Volvo dark grey and slapped on some 195/45/14 Falkens as old 185/60/14 Conti's don't cut it on a G :lol:

Whilst it was at the garage, it had some good company 8>)

G7Rq4fK.jpg

However we found the replacement box (CEG code) didn't like 5th and kept jumping out (also needed to replace the linkage as I'd broken the ball at the bottom of the stick in order to get it out of gear so could roll for recovery!)

So trip to Shropshire for the linkage and a run up to Tibshelf to meet someone halfway for another box (8P this time) and we got it in and back up and running

EgWIAa2.jpg

xYFSl7u.jpg

(With an appearance by my dad's new Ateca and my mum's Fabia :lol:)

So after lots of brapping about all weekend, set about sorting the matte bonnet that had green coming through

3F6o2jW.jpg

And all was well....or so I thought

Took it to work on Monday morning just gone, I work 26 miles from home and go M5/M42 and about 7 miles away it started doing odd things and having no power, up until it died on me in the rush hour traffic :-(

Queue calling the RAC who said its the alternator, charged me up and followed me to work, however a chat with a few people we agreed it wasn't and set about checking the charge circuit, then found this:

4vN0iad.jpg]

:angry:

Left in works secure carpark over night, got lift home and back the next morning but with new strap, tools and battery charger, borrowed electricity off work and got it back in and now seems to be sweet, just goes to show, never take what RAC/recovery say to you as rite!

zJr8eIO.jpg

That was until I cut out again on me, this time thankfully just as I pulled onto my drive.  After lots of conflab and head scratching and new plugs, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start, I loaded up my daily A5 to get to Polo Social.  Upon the arrival of the Scottish contingent, Steven said to me 'we're going back to yours tomorrow to get the G', never argue with a Scotsman! :lol:

So we loaded up in two cars, me and @CHRIS2911 in the Audi and @kwijibo_coupe & @citrus in Steven's G-Turbo, we got 20 miles and Steven's clutch cable broke, queue all piling in a 2 door coupe to go to local garage to try a repair/order another.  Ended up ordering another cable which would take 3 hours to arrive so we did the jag back to Brum from the other side of Nottingham.

We set to work on the G, took the fuel pipe off the rail and cranked it to find not much coming through, so Steven had a look at the pump and we put another 5 litres in to give it the best chance, 3 cranks and 1 failed start it started, sender to gauge appears to be a bit off as it reads 1/4 when its nowhere near! (filled up with 40 litres, did 250 miles of driving and it still reads a 1/4, I think not!)

Queue going four up in a G40 (with a video that Steven took ending up on the club's Instagram thanks to Dean!) with a diversion round traffic and stop to adjust the timing, then back to garage for clutch cable, return to fix Steven's car then return to Polo Social (left at 11am, back for 6pm)

Saturday afternoon at Polo Social saw a few people descend on it to sort out a few niggles and to refit the front bumper (needs a pair of bumpers really) and codes read and removed by Gaz on Sunday

231cBP9.jpg

A8aXrl6.jpg

pcvLTil.jpg

After the show finished decided to give it its first proper clean in my ownership and it came out pretty well (still need to sort out the bonnet!) and lined up with Steven and Scott's cars for the A-polo-clypse photo below (courtesy of @Cymro)

vx7zscG.jpg

So that brings us up to date, still lots to do and maybe improve on (there's no stereo or speakers!) but all in good time, just going to enjoy it for now 8>)

• Like 7

Looking good mate, just need to hunt out any bodges that will annoy or cause breakdowns.

Keep up the work :)

Pictures from Dean of Saturday afternoon at Polo Social fix it time

CxKevnu.jpg

a7YOFTk.jpg

w5VIYZG.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Woop woop go team! Gutted I couldn't make it, but was nice to know that my 2 old G's made it ( just =D )

Cars looking great now and only set to get better in your hands. Rusty & Tasha would be very happy to see it back on the road, as the shell was initially going to the scrapyard Due to lack of demand.

Chuffed to have saved one. Enjoy my friend :)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Not much to update on this, went to Action in it and it threatened to die just before got to M1 so had to get the RAC out again....alternator has bit the dust (only putting only 11V :-()

So it languished at home until I moved house at the end of October where in it now has a garage with a pit to live in and the process of acquiring parts to fix it up

Acquired a bonnet and wings in black that are in better condition than the current items, but bummed to lose a genuine G passenger wing (the one with the aerial bung in but its started to go at the base) and an alternator along with a more standard size exhaust (centre box and stainless type rear, will remove centre pipe and replace for decent noise :D )

Most likely will not be at the Rolling Road Day mind :-(

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:45, jonPDpolo said:

w5VIYZG.jpg

I didn't realise we were all so intimate with your car that weekend. Had a bit of an audience too :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today saw this

CSyYwML.jpg

Bumper off to give me more room to do alternator and swap the wings over (though wasn't able to in the end, defeated by one bolt holding the wing to the A pillar! Will try again tomorrow, removed the Asbo exhaust too

• 2 weeks later...

I ain’t a million miles away now so if you ever need a pair of hands to attack bits give me a shout! Give me a good chance to run the mighty NAF around. :lol:

On 1/31/2018 at 15:01, mbusby993 said:

I ain’t a million miles away now so if you ever need a pair of hands to attack bits give me a shout! Give me a good chance to run the mighty NAF around. :lol:

Up to you lad, might be doing stuff this weekend but I need to pop over to Shrewsbury to grab some bumpers for it first (how it currently is)

bLGetty.jpg

That leads me neatly onto this weekend's acquired goodies

Oil pressure and oil temp gauges with senders and mount for stereo hole

Some OZ routes needing a small tidy up (not sure which way to go with them, need to clean up the centres as 3 have some black paint on)

xgYrxv3.jpg

And before anyone says, I know the tyre is on the wrong side, I just grabbed one to test fit in-between coming home from RR day and going out in Wolverhampton on the night, was my birthday after all :tongue:

Quick trip on the weekend up to Shropshire yielded some better bumpers for the G

AWHwhjA.jpg

Need a cleanup and the rear restriping but got the bits to be able to do that, the front has slight scuff damage but I'll take a bumper with two intact side mounts and a small amount of damage over a droopy one

Also grabbed this off Nick when I went and got the bumpers

bZjnOV0.jpg

Heat shield for cone made to fit a G40, just need to decide on what filter to run on it now, will leave the standard airbox on for now though

• Like 1

Small update, got round to cleaning the bumpers and re-instating the red stripe on the rear bumper before refitting (and shearing a head off a bolt :-o luckily only one of the minor ones on the underside)

bHuSTsX.jpg

VGiqm8S.jpg

Still need to figure out swapping the alternator, may just swap the voltage regulator or get my mate's garage to do it before the MOT

• Like 2

12 hours ago, c.w.pritchard said:

Where did you source the red stripe please? Need to replace mine but not sure of the size.

I got mine from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk3-Polo-G40-GT-Red-Bumper-Stripe-Sticker-Front-Rear/172572483171?hash=item282e1f1e63:g:IE0AAMXQs6FRUEvA

You have to trim a bit off the end for the back bumper as its slightly longer but as long as you've got a sharp stanley it'll cut clean

Had a half day yesterday for Sky engineer, so thought I'd have another go at getting the alternator out

Managed to get the two 19mm bolts from the charger undone, just took a spanner, BFH and swearing :tongue:

So here's the charger with replacement alternator

hWxJ8WF.jpg

View back down into bay

fTnJywi.jpg

Helpfully replacement has the wrong pulley

o21dq0b.jpg

Soon sorted

ySsBnZ7.jpg

Bay as is now

UZW18gF.jpg

Annoyingly, the mount holes don't quite line up perfectly, fettling is required but ran out of light, will have a proper go tomorrow and hopefully get it all back together before I forget what goes where!

Well, that didn't go as planned...:sorry:

Valeo alternator doesn't fit, its about 3mm or so out when you mount the bottom bolt, keeping that and the bracket loose for maximum wiggle room and the top bolt just won't line up, so having to send off the Bosch original for a refurbishment, slightly irritating as its holding up lots of other jobs.

YC2axfy.jpg

That's literally how close it is, nothing I do will get it closer!

So to make myself feel better about the fact that I'd wasted nearly 3 1/2 hours on it to get no further, mounted the gauges I got from Saf the right way round and test fitted them in the car (need a pic of that)

cFCmVQU.jpg

And derusted and repainted the front crash bar

cOGLwHy.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update on this!

After the balls up with the Valeo alternator, I put the feelers out for having the Bosch one refurbished.  A friend's step-dad said he take a look and only charge me for the parts so naturally took him up on the offer.

After a damn good clean up (drove for a week or so with the crankcase breather venting to atmosphere so it was shooting oil vapour down the side of the block and onto the alternator!) and a set of replacement brushes, we think we may have cracked (though was supplied with no guarantee, if it does work I need to pay him another £15 :lol:)

NhZVHzj.jpg

zxwkJpm.jpg

So finally able to put the front end back together, though need to get a mite more tension onto the charger belts as they aren't quite as tight as I'd like but nudging closer to the end point, need to drill two small holes either side on the bumper to mount the splash guard to (hence why it looks slightly wonky, not properly mounted!)

JueksH0.jpg

xUy80qJ.jpg

VK0L4Sp.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 11:16, Jake said:

Looking good Jon, some powdercoated and polished/chromed engine bay parts would make it 8>)

In good time Mr Shingler, who knows, might own this as long as you've had the mythical capri green car :lol:

So after a self kick up the arse easter weekend, the car is mostly back together, never doing another exhaust!  Still need help getting the last mount onto the rear box attached to the car, sounds good though :D

Not many pics as my Pixel is away being repair so couple of potato quality when I'd test fitted the ruotes and driven it out and turned it round (good job I did as the coil was shagged; shout out to @nige8021 who gave me a spare just before polo show last year)

oSHY6k7.jpg

ZXeDZYq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update

Some of the new exhaust fitted

kJszhev.jpg

NKU8UpB.jpg

2nopc0U.jpg

And just because :D

KTv6Hlt.jpg

It is sort of running, it seems to stem from having it running and it struggling to start and having no spark, had it running and doing a load test to check the alternator and it just switched off like I'd turned the key but I hadn't.....

Going on a guess that the ECU didn't have the constant 12.5V it needs, gone and replaced all the earth straps, now the fuel pump isn't priming :-/

Going through wiring is fun....not

Managed to get running Saturday, turns out it was the fuel pump relay (changed the fuse as well to make doubley sure)

Pulled the relay out to find a nice blue gunk underneath, safe to say it was knackered, local GSF were showing stock of relay but couldn't find it so quick pop to Volksmagic round the corner for a £5 relay from a classic Beetle of all things but it works a treat as its only an A/B switching relay

MOT now booked for Wednesday this week (25th April) few small jobs to do (black temp sender and some silicon hose to extend the boost line for the gauge and we're all good (hopefully! Everything crossed currently!)

Couple of pictures, including new style site sticker

XZteaan.jpg

TtJWxLz.jpg

aqmv1Do.jpg

f5Na5kY.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So sent it for MOT and it failed on some dreaded rust near the seatbelt anchor, got my mate Steve at Heath Mill Garage to sort it out

G2s4Nje.jpg

eWd9Qr1.jpg

xdabRKf.jpg

Now missing that side moulding on that side so decided it was easier to remove the passenger side one than to reattach the drivers side one, will keep and put back on once all the sill work has been done and its been painted (at some point in the future!)

thQMeSn.jpg

CDpsVN1.jpg

Took it to Stanford Hall and got papped (really need to clean the tyres)

V3NVoJ6.jpg

Got a intermittent hesitation in 3rd and 4th around 2.5k so chasing that down but currently running