Retrospoke

88 Coupe S , Fast Road, Restoration

Retrospoke

X5QcEgy.jpg

Sprayed with some random paint I had on the shelf

5A9PTZL.jpg

Dirty fuel filter from only 90 miles traveled , looks like some sand from shot blasting and some chips of paint from powder coaters, 

Hopefully this is most of it!

Edited by Retrospoke
Android glitch

Retrospoke

This week I've sorted bodged wing mirror out, the jubilee clip/ ducktape was a quick fix by the previous owner, 

QCR8867.jpg

Got some mirrors on eBay, without the  internal adjustment wires , repainted the base plate due to lots of oxidisation/ corrosion, rebuilt, , will see if I can repair my adjustable version in the future but at least the car is safer to drive now

aQkwwvw.jpg

mk2 polo power

Great project I bet this would look good cleaned up and photo from distance.

You'll probably be able to put every drop of power down with those handling mods which would make it fun.

Retrospoke

I'm sitting here writing this post really missing the Coupe S, 
its been in the garage for over 3 months now! 
The mechanic doing the work is doing it around other jobs so its just not getting done, all is OK though as I have known him for years and he's oldschool and super cheap so don't care waiting, I recently moved house so the timing was right to give it to someone else to tinker with as I wouldn't have got much done myself with the move.

I was using it as a daily in Jan/ Feb it lasted about 400 miles before it started to show some new issues, 

• Pierburg started the classic over fuelling problem in the cold weather, started smelling really bad, and would sit around 2k on idle , then erratically loosing power / idle speed changing ( replaced rubber gasket was completly perished) not fixed
  • cleaned out carburettor followed guide on you tube,  no difference 
  • compression test carried out ( cylinder 1/2 lower than 3/4 )+ mayonnaise in expansion tank (might have been me or owner before when it boiled over)  booked in to mate at garage , 
  • was unable to drive to garage had to be recovered😢 was also pulling more crap out of brand new tank so didn't want to run it anymore until flushed 

Gave it to the mechanic and said just sort it! 

• Head has been removed, valves lapped/ cleaned was supper filthy from bad running + 160K , ( purchased Elring full gasket set so tappets will get new seals to) 
  • one of the head bolts was corroded into block😡 fortunately after a month of soaking/ moaning😛 its out! !
  • found that the  head gasket had gone between water channels in block, also oil seal in corner was knackered and was one of my main oil leaks so happy this will be sorted to, as it was leaking oil onto alternator slowly, when its back I would like to upgrade to a 90 amp Golf MK3 ALT so didn't want to do all that work only to have it covered in oil again! 
  • on last MOT it got a few advisory's on rear handbrake  / brake line corrosion so have given mechanic some FEBI cables / told him to rebuild drums / look into brake lines , tempted to get some good-ridges/ snazzy ones all round if needed  

So fingers crossed it comes home soon I'm itching to take it for a spin! / would be good to get to a meet before the end of the year, 
last photo after giving it mega clean/ clay, was off the road at this point + making a mess of the drive #toldoff😢jqWfTMG.jpg

Edited by Retrospoke
images didn't work

Elijah

Well done for keeping it going.

lozoic

Nice job on it, keep motivation !

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Jim1500
      By Jim1500
      Full set of MK3 wheel trims. Resprayed a good few years ago and paint cracking / peeling.  These are by no means mint. Fairly fresh scuff on last one in pic and some scuffs under paint, but could be sanded and painted again. All clips and rings present and they hold firm to the wheels. I had them on the car for a fair while without using cable ties..
      Having a bit of a clear out and don't think these will be going back on my mk2 again.

Cheers for looking, any questions please feel free to ask 🙂 

£20 posted or £15 collected

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192697679508?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
    • Matty!
      By Matty!
      Salzmann Top Mounts:
      These have been fully greased and are in working condition, however the previous guy snapped a drill bit in the top so one of them could do with some modding, or something, I never got round to it. Plus I dont actually think they ever actually align, I think I got scammed on them TBH, hence why I didnt sell them on as I didn't want to move on the problem to another G40 Owner, however. If you want to take the punt they will work, just I havn't got the time to mess about with them as at the time I was rushing the car together for a Nurburgring trip, £60 delivered will get you something that is rare as fook and cool as fook.

• Davemassey
      By Davemassey
      Evening guys and girls!
      ive not long got back from paying for my breadvan I won on eBay for the princely sun of £56! It's going to be a restoration project for me and my 6 year old son. She needs a fair bit of love after being stored in a barn for the past 10 years! 
      Its due to be collected next weekend so I'll post some better pics when she arrives but here are a few from the eBay ad...
      look forward to picking your collective brains when the time comes and posting regular updates of what's been going on (may be a long resto as I'll be trying to "teach" my son along the way)
      but anyway...just thought I'd say hello!

• AveryCates
      By AveryCates
      On a snowy day back in 2009 I managed to crash my wifes 6N into a raised bus stop curb, as you can imagine the results were impressive. Passenger side wheel at 45 degrees to the drivers and the steering wheel was upside down, we scrapped the car as a result. This wasn't a rash decision, lots of advisories on the previous MOT....oh and it was Cat C'ed a couple of years earlier when we were in a 4 car shunt in standing traffic. Boot lip pushed in 3 - 4 inches and front serverely deformed....we patched it up for £20 and kept driving! Car was brought for £1500 and we got £1100 payout, plus sold some parts....not bad for a car we had owned for 4 years at the time with 100k on the clock.
      So we ended up getting a sensible car, an 06 Honda Accord diesel...was the sport edition!
      And while we drove that around I picked up this....

And turned it into this...(Build thread here)

At the start of the month I decided that the car had cost more than enough and that I should probably think about replacing my wifes Polo 6 years later.....especially since Mini parts are so expensive and you can still find a Polo at a scrap yard! In the 5 years I owned the car it had been driven 1500 miles and cost me half a years salary, which is a sobering thought as I am far from being on minimum wage.
      For the grand total of £200 I brought a 149k mile 1997 R reg 999cc Polo L

Currently I am stripping down the car, seeing what work needs doing and parts i need to source
      So far it needs...
      Both rear arches repaired New rear valance underseal stripping off, rusty treating and reapplying Various rust patches repairing A full respray replacement carpets and retrimmed front seats Engine reconditioning (probably gearbox too) And probably a whole host of other things....but its a project.
      My plan is to keep the car pretty much standard, yes there will be a few modifications and fancys details added to the car along the way. I am a man I like shiny things and power, but at a glance i want it to appear standard.
      I will add photos and updates as I make progress.....which will be slow as I work away from home. I am giving myself a year to get it MOT'ed.

Follow: #ClubPoloUK

The Polo Social

Volkswagen Polo Owners Club

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines