Retrospoke

88 Coupe S , Fast Road, Restoration

Retrospoke

Hey people, 

Here's my new project :1988  MK2 Polo Coupe S 

I've been kindly given the car from my house mate who recently had taken the car off the road due to a few issues.

- fuel tank leaks over half full ( new tank from vw heritage sitting here now)

- leaking radiator/ expansion tank ( new rad arrived last week )

-CV joint nearly exploded (replaced at the garage last week)

Lots of plans for the next few months it's got a fair bit of rust so that needs addressing before winter.

20170711111649_1_zpsjspc01gj.jpg

20170725151524_1_zpsyw7kq8rl.jpg

20170711111511_1_zpstrwz9dct.jpg

Edited by Retrospoke

heyholly__

My Coupe has the same problem with the leaking fuel tank, nightmare! Hoping to get it fixed though soon! 

• Like 1

Retrospoke

It's a expensive problem a leaky tank!

I'm striping the car for a good clean/ treating any rust along the way

radiator out today,

decided to do the heater matrix / thermostat at the same time due rusty mess I've found so far, so ordering those tonight.

Poped the expansion tank in the sink for a soak then got destraction by the air filter lid!

Grinder time! 

20170802095441_1_zpsuxzbrxft.jpg

After I made it bare metal, treated it we it with some k rust, a few times washing off with warm water/sand paper 

20170802112236_1_zpsnsyfa789.jpg

Got a few coats if etch primer on, going to spray it bronze as I have a odd can left over

Spent rest of evening cleaning engine bay, not. Showing it yet , it's still filthy!

Edited by Retrospoke

steveo3002

you know photobucket pics no longer work ?

• Like 1

MartinB

Would like to see pics of this - suggest changing image hosting providers. IMGUR works for me and is pretty simple to use :)

• Like 1

MartinB

Just managed to click on the links and take a look. I like it a lot and it's original as well!

I took a look at the MOT history online as well and there's previously been no mention of corrosion or rust, so I think whatever rust you can see must be surface only, which is lucky! The MOT has only just expired (May) so i'd be half tempted to pop in for a test and see what it fails on and that would be a good starter for 10. 

Cymro

Have sent Retrospoke a Pm, hopefully he will be able to sort out the issue and use something other than Photofuckit.

Retrospoke

dcjFBwe.jpg

5XBI6iF.jpg

NLCi4C8.jpg

Above photo's are before I started .

Then I started on the air filter casing

B76loD1.jpg

Bare metal

1yYb6WL.jpg

Treatment ( the Rusty water below is what came out the radiator!)

jBklBFN.jpg

Finished!

w9BMI23.jpg

Damm photobucket I will take my images elswhere!

Edited by Retrospoke
  • Like 2

Retrospoke

So the rads out, now I'm focusing on rust patches + cleaning everything!

Mj5fpKq.jpg

F3ZFkVo.jpg

Bonnet needs some work

GrjAh2X.jpg

Radiator housing is in a bad shape so I'm going to try and save it with some phosphoric acid.

V7FQSzy.jpg

hfcLCab.jpg

Edited by Retrospoke
  • Like 2
  • Love it 1

Elijah

Great project I had an f plate coupe s cracking motor.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

Retrospoke

Traced the coolant leak to a warped and cracked thermostat housing, 

c2UCdn4.jpg

New parts:

Thermostat housing + elbow,

Thermostat / O rings 

Rocker cover gaskets

Engine earth leads X2

Carried out a coolant flush, as the Haynes manual stated using hose to reverse flush the system, 

M9NWJvv.jpg

MartinB

Liking the work so far. Where did you get the earth straps from?

• Like 1

Retrospoke

So I painted up the radiator fan housing, fitted the new thermostat/ housing , cleaned the air filter box, then poured in some coolant , then fired it up , bled out the air from the system, then waited for fan to kick in.

The tappets seem a little noisy , but it idled ok after a minute,  I've noticed the carb wobbles abit so I might need a new rubber gasket for the base as I suspect it has a air leak. But overall I'm happy I'm making progress as it's not leaking coolant anymore!

dr0xxuP.jpg

Ok next problem.......

My suspension top mounts on the front are extremely worn! 

RYvLGaj.jpg

On the passenger side it's actually dented the bonnet!

u5lmg75.jpg

It's covered 178k in its lifetime so let's hope they have been replaced at some point!

New bits:

lcLiZEC.jpg

Top mounts and rubber boots , ( Febi- bilsten) for front end 

80 / 60 mm lowering springs ( which only cost giving my mate and his mum a lift to Stansted airport at 6am.... he used to have a bready)

The car doesn't seem to bounce around to much so I'm hoping the original shocks will do for now, famous last words?

Next week I'm getting the new fuel tank powder coated,  

Rocker cover is also coming off for heat powdercoat 

Going to order:

90 amp alternator as I hear you can fit a one from golf/Passat 

Front ARB blocks 

New fuel lines, filter, 

Rubber Carb gasket

Spark plugs, dizzy cap + rotor arm 

Strut braces 

Underbody protection / paint for when I do suspension / fuel tank area

Edited by Retrospoke
  • Like 1

Retrospoke

This week I've been doing a few little jobs, 

Testing out some POR15 on some rusty bits, 

k9AQHKx.jpg

Painted front bumper as it was so faded:

ioiqb8W.jpg

Removed a bodge on the rear exhaust ( shoelaces and wire ) with a pair rubber doughnuts.

iz4lCN3.jpg

Retrospoke

my shocks were a bit knackerd!

Jf2fe9j.jpg

Splashed out ? 

AftCmYJ.jpg

H+R cup kit 

PPP Stage 2 Subframe 

ARB Blocks

Febi bilsten lower arms 

Febi bilsten track rods

Febi bilsten shock absorber dust covers/ boots

Front wheel bearings 

Gearbox rubber mount + G60 rubber mount

Edited by Retrospoke
Space at bottom of page
  • Like 1

Retrospoke

Finally got my tank and rocker cover back from the powder coaters but I'm really Happy with the results 

fVqOGmB.jpg

fuel tank ( Porsche silver )

Stainless tank strap from eBay.de

rubber strip ( found on the side of the road ) 

HOFTOJl.jpg

Rocker cover color ( rootbeer )

Bolts done in black por15 paint

New rubber gaskets

Ov0MDqs.jpg

Hubs cleaned then painted in hammerite

Brake covers were almost beyond repair but will do for now

ky1dTns.jpg

Rocker cover fitted

Stage 2 Subframe fitted, ,( what a battle getting the ARB blocks on!) 

Hubs, H,+R cup kit fitted, 

Nearly there but held up with my brakes , somehow eurocar parts have sent me 1x  239mm disc and 1 X 263 

Only fitted the correct 239mm one then got the other side and got angry! 

Also my track rods are being stubborn so further investigations needed.

Hope to fit fuel tank then get a MOT this week/end

dvderlm

Looks amazing.

And pot luck bad luck from eurocarparts. 

• Like 1

dvderlm

Getting track rod ends off .. at the strut use a bearing splitter (mole grips, hacksaw, angle grinder when the cone is released but the nut just turns)  - take whole rods off at the rack then you need a vice and 2 long spanners, one holds still one moves away to release the lock nut... look carefully at the rod's thread for direction - I've even sought garage help with this for beer/biscuits.

Retrospoke

thankyou dvderlm, 
I was going to go down that route as I have a big old record vice which keeps things in place,, but I have handed in the towel and given the car to the garage with the new trackrods,
still have a knock coming from somewhere so I am starting to think I need to replace both ends on the track rod arms, will check it out next week,
maybe these? if I start saving! :smile:

https://www.maxrpm.de/Steering-track-rod-for-all-Polo-86-and-86C-MK2/2F-with-track-adjustment-unibal-joints-Set-Left-Right-both-sites-adjustable

kiran_182

Good little project, cleaning up quite well. Like the colour on the rocker cover

• Like 1

dvderlm

Those trackrods... are you sure they fit RHD? ... I think the angles are different enough that you can't just swap sides.

Would mean you can get steering wheel dead straight on lowered car, especially with large spline column.

But more than I'd pay.

Knock might be the top mounts.

Edited by dvderlm

Retrospoke

good call didn't think of that! 

Just looking at there description says they will modify them shorter for extreme lowering which is interesting

Would make sense its the top mounts, just changed them I guess they bed-in thus making  cup/nut loose