TLovett12

2001 6N2 GTI Stock - Overhaul Steps for the Future...

TLovett12    0
TLovett12

Hi all,

Long time member, minimal poster, unless it's when there's an emergency!

I've had a stock 2001 6N2 GTI 5dr in Silver since 2008 and is rapidly approaching 160K on the clock and was looking for some insight into what to do next in terms of keeping this car on the road and in it's best condition and wanted to learn from anyone elses experiences.

Some basic facts:

Purchased 2008 - 35K on the clock approx.

Has been regularly serviced every year or 10,000 miles

Recent Cambelt and Waterpump change at 158K having perhaps missed one or two since 90K

Recent Alternator swapout after the original finally gave up

Running Eagle F1's all round on original 15" BBS split rims

Was part of the Pedal Box recall or missed the boat on the issues, not sure but remember not being a cause for concern when I looked into it

-Gearbox still sounds quiet and shifts ok with some stickyness, expected from an old car, none of the usual bearing issues that were known of.

-Aircon doesn't work anymore - compressor clutch activates, gas in the system but does not activate when switched on, signal not reaching solenoid so I'm guessing bad wiring somewhere.

-Intermittent ABS light - suspected from faulty NSR wheel sensor

-Temperature gauge fails to work, every 3rd-4th start? Again, probably some wiring.

-Headlamps doing their usual deterioration, need a restoration

-Wheels in desperate need of a refurb

So this may seem like a pretty arbitrary run down of all my cars faults and niggles, but having owned this car for almost ten years and genuinely being in love with it from styling to handling, I want to give it the best attention possible whilst remaining stock.

Are there any suggestions for either stock or slightly uprated parts I can look into, or what the next steps would be to maintaing it's life expectancy or things I should prepare myself for down the line?

Any info, much appreciated,

Tom

Elijah    93
Elijah

I would just keep it simple, regular oil changes, cambelt on time.  160k is superb for one of these.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• eurorob
      By eurorob
      for sale is my Mk3 golf gti 8v in stunning rare fjord blue
      i have owned the car for the past 4+ years and have loved every minute of it but I just don't use her enough to warrant keeping her, I believe I've only covered approx 800miles in the last 2yrs.
      the car wants for nothing as I have replaced most parts to keep her in great working order, a brief list of parts are
      NEW
      lower arms (painted anthracite grey)
      bottom ball joints
      track rod ends
      rear engine mount
      water pump
      clutch
      rear axel bushes (axel powder coated anthracite grey)
      mintex discs and pads all round
      rear wheel bearings
      sump and gasket (painted candy magenta)

i have also also added a set of coilovers, 16x8" compomotive p slot alloys, nankang ns2 tyres and a rare hottuning cross braced show cage (painted candy magenta)

the car drives great and isnt too low, she's goes over speed humps fine and is a nice ride. Car has covered 137k miles but is nothing for one of these engines, I have always kept it serviced well, the underside has been undersealed so is protected, jacking points are good not like the usual crap, I removed the rust from under the rear arches and made clearance for the wheels so no catching what so ever.

viewing is highly recommended and I'm available most days any time, I'm in no rush to sell, car is still in daily use but only covers around 20miles a week, 
      please note the private plate does NOT come with the car, will be back on an M reg
      car  located horbury bridge West Yorkshire 

£2195ono

thanks
      rob
    • aaron_6n2
      By aaron_6n2
      Has anyone got any polo 6n2 or golf mk3 seats for sale please if anyone has the mk3 golf seats in the lighter colour instead of black ??? Sorry if it's in wrong one wouldn't let me post in different forum for some reason 
    • residentmelon
      By residentmelon
      It's been a while that I have posted or done anything on my car it's been a hard few years in life. But had enough and I want the car finished and ready for me to get married in.

This was the old one I got this from Phil J, unfortunately, dies from rust.near seat belt points.

New Shell no engine no suspension just a bare shell

What is used to look like

The engine bay has been stripped of all the smoothing as it was all flaking off. under the smoothing and a ton of filler there were a few bad bits which have now been sorted I will upload more pictures once I find a better photobucket 

• eurorob
      By eurorob
      Recently bought myself a breadvan, had one years ago and when I saw this forsake it brought back memories so I just had to buy it, looking for a bit of inspiration for what to do with her, I'm fancing a bit of a retro stance kind of look for it but what pics have you guys got to give me inspiration