Sign in to follow this  
Wharvey89

Possible clutch problem?

Wharvey89

Hi all.

Hope you may be able to help me out.

I have owned my breadvan for just over a month. Not had any major issues until today. 

I only use my polo to get to work at the moment and its about a 15 min drive from home. However today I took it up the motorway for the first time after about an hour and a half of driving i came off the motorway and I physically couldn't get into gear. I had to pull over to the side of the road, stop, then I was able to get it into first and drive off. This happened another few times before I managed to get to where I was going.

From what I've read on here/elsewhere it seems I may be looking at a new clutch :(

I've had a look for replacement kits but I'm struggling to find a match. I drive a Mk2 polo. 1.3 CL 1990 and my reg is H102 MUH.

Hope you can help.

Josh 

steveo3002
residentmelon

I think the problem is which I have just had with my clutch is there are three sizes 

180mm clutch with a 180mm pressure plate 

190mm clutch with a 190mm pressure plate 

190mm clutch with a 200mm pressure plate 

I recently brought a clutch which is meant to be for my car a 190mm clutch with a 190mm pressure plate and  the plate would not fit on the fly wheel as my flywheel is 200mm.

Unfortunately, you have to take it off to measure it.

Wharvey89
8 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

Steveo thanks for those links!

Have taken it to a garage near the family I'm staying with. They reckon it could be the release bearing that is causing the problem. But sods law they took it for a drive and it was fine. Is it common for these parts to cause problems after longer periods of driving etc? (I'm sorry if thats a dumb question, I don't know a lot about cars but learning everyday!)

Is the replacement of a clutch on a mk2 fairly straightforward if you follow the Haynes manual? Tempted to give it a go myself, in a constant effort to save some wonga. 

steveo3002

cant really think what would cause it sorry....id disconect the cable and ensure its moving nicley and that the pedal is free too

otherwise gearbox off time and fit the whole clutch kit ...while its apart you can also check the clutch arm on the gearbox , it fits in 2x bushes so clean and regrease those and check for excess wear

as for the job...i hate doing them , its only nuts n bolts though , i would suggest have a strong helper or some method of help to refit the gearbox , some guys do it alone but tbh i struggle to lift it on , try and do it over a weekend so theres no rushing and you need a 12 point 9mm socket to work on it