mark_l_sanders

Gear Change Advice Wrong?

mark_l_sanders

I drive 2 Polo's regularly - a 2016 1.0 and a very new l.2 TSI.

With both, I've noticed that the central console doesn't advise a change from 4th to 5th until way after I'd naturally change up....yet I'd have thought that an early change would be better for economy etc etc.

Has anyone else noticed this - is the automated advice simply wrong, or are my driving habits probably the issue??!!

thanks

kiran_182

I change at 8k..... 

kiran_182

Anyway, the auto advice may be programmed to help them stay inline with goverment targets and pollution reduction

When do you normally change? Do you know where the power band is and chamge for that?

mark_l_sanders

Hi Kiran - I know I normally change many thousand revs under 8k!!

I'll check the next time I drive and post it here.

I don't know the power band - does VW publish these specs anywhere?

thx

Edited by mark_l_sanders

kiran_182

Aa 3.5 4k in a petrol is a fairly tame time to change 

Power band is a small section of the revs where the most power is produced, some cars have it low down and then it drops off around 5k and others it comes in later and goes all the way to the top.

Changing in that band will get the best acceleration and economy suffers 

dvderlm

Found some gear ratio specifications. looks like the 1.2 TDI has different 4th than any of the others so you stay in it for longer.

Peak power is at a mere 4200rpm and peak torque at only 2000rpm.

http://www.vw.co.za/content/medialib/vwd4/za/editorial/pdfs/brochures/polo/my14-polo-my14-spec-leaflet-2013-210x297-v5lr-pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/my14-polo-my14-spec-leaflet-2013-210x297-v5lr.pdf

Suppose it all helps the EU 5 Emissions rating.

I hate those nannying indicators (Nissan Pulsar PureShiteDrive) . They've no idea whether you are climbing a hill or trying to be ready to overtake a lorry or cruising up to a red light.

mark_l_sanders
34 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

Found some gear ratio specifications. looks like the 1.2 TDI has different 4th than any of the others so you stay in it for longer.

Peak power is at a mere 4200rpm and peak torque at only 2000rpm.

http://www.vw.co.za/content/medialib/vwd4/za/editorial/pdfs/brochures/polo/my14-polo-my14-spec-leaflet-2013-210x297-v5lr-pdf/_jcr_content/renditions/rendition.download_attachment.file/my14-polo-my14-spec-leaflet-2013-210x297-v5lr.pdf

Suppose it all helps the EU 5 Emissions rating.

I hate those nannying indicators (Nissan Pulsar PureShiteDrive) . They've no idea whether you are climbing a hill or trying to be ready to overtake a lorry or cruising up to a red light.

Thanks, dvderlm - the engine I'm asking about is actually a 1.2 TSI petrol, so not the right specs unfortunately! Tbh, I've no idea if the indicator advice things are simply looking at revs or whether they cross-match rev with speed....

dvderlm
7 hours ago, mark_l_sanders said:

a 2016 1.0 and a very new l.2 TDI

28 minutes ago, mark_l_sanders said:

is actually a 1.2 TSI petrol

ah, ok.

Tsi is turbo and supercharged I think or is that TFSI.  

So there must be a crossover point where supercharger parasitic drag is overcome by exhaust speed spinning the turbine.

That would be start of optimal rev range for efficiency I suppose.

https://www.otodata.com/cars/Volkswagen/Polo-1-2-TSI/187583.html

has torque range but not gear ratios.

I hope there are sensors looking at engine load (manifold pressure) but even these can't read my intentions. 

Edited by dvderlm