Sign in to follow this  
kizerfluid

MK2F 1.0 AAU to 1.6 AEE conversion Help required before i pull the polo apart

kizerfluid

Hi guys i know iv been quiet on here for a very long time sins i sold my last polo which i dropped the GT engine in but now im back with a question for the guru's here as i have found a lot of conflicting information scattered about the internet regarding this.

First of all let me start out by saying im looking at doing about 3 different engine conversions at the moment and dont want to waste my time / effort on the polo if its not going to work anyway as i have a e36 BMW to take a 318i 8v engine out of and put a 318is 16v stroked engine in for definite.

Along with that i may be helping a mate of mine convert his k10 micra 1.2 to a 1.6 from a almera.

Which leaves me with 2 possible engine swaps which only 1 of can be done.

Iv got a 1.6 AEE MPI engine which has some kind of performance cam sat on my garage floor at the moment which came from a 1996 mk3 golf which i stripped kept the engine as i know the AEE is known as a fairly tune able engine with someone pushing one to 240BHP anyway once i had a better look at it i realized it looked a lot like the AAV / 3F engines i had pulled out / put in my old polo. Then as luck would have it again a MK2F came up for sale locally and i managed to swap a BMW e36 vader full interior for it which worked out in the sellers favor anyway as he wanted £450 for the mk2f and he sold the vader interior for £750 which in my opinion is cheap still as iv seen vader interior sell for £1500+

But anyway i then started searching to see if this AEE would fit the mk2f i just acquired turns i google can't seem to find me a definite answer the closest iv got to an answer is this thread on club polo:

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/13935-converting-a-gt-to-a-14-and-16/?page=7&tab=comments#comment-1168668

Which works out well for me as i still have the mk3 golf this engine came from and i have a complete mk2f with a 1.0 AAU in which has just had a new clutch by my understanding if i fit the following parts to the AEE from the AAU it should fit:

flywheel

clutch

starter (or possibly a slimline starter off a 1994)

gearbox (wouldn't use the 4 speed off the 1.0 would use my old AAV 5spd box which only has 65k miles on it which would mean i need a 5spd gearbox mount for a mk2f)

alternator pulley

crank pulley

bit of shaving of metal and plastic and jobs a gooden

Obviously the rest of that guide i can disregard as im not converting it to a GT im just getting the AEE to fit and i have a complete engine not just a bare engine so i have the inlet manifold and everything with the engine.

however im pretty sure there is going to wiring issues getting the AEE's loom to mate up with the mk2f loom and also the AAU is SPI so would need a better fuel pump for the AEE same as when i went from AAV to 3F on my old polo

If for some reason someone knows why this won't work please let me know and i will just dump this AEE in another mk3 golf that has a 1.8 ADZ engine but its slow and sluggish compared to this AEE

Also on another note the golf with the AEE in came with a clutch kit as the clutch had almost gone (bite right at the top of the pedal and a little slip)  now luckily my mk2f had just had a new clutch before i got it but i have looked it up online and the AEE clutch is 24 tooth 200mm and the mk2f uses a 24 tooth 190mm clutch i know its a long shot but who reckons the AEE clutch disc 200mm will fit inside the mk2f 190mm pressure plate? and work as i read from somewhere the mk2f clutches don't handle the AEE power very well and burn out fast so kinda hoping if for some chance the AEE clutch disc fits the mk2f pressure plate that the extra 10mm diameter will help it cope with the power better.

Thanks everyone

Edited by kizerfluid

dvderlm

You'll need an extra metal plate with more holes behind alternator according to this, (next to oil filter)

https://www.polotreff.de/forum/t/245742

https://www.polotreff.de/forum/a/197019-img-20150131-144457-053-jpg.html

Anhang ID 197019 - IMG_20150131_144457_053.jpg

As for clutch sizing yes might fit - depends on the manufacturer for clearance. You could always get a G40 clutch kit. or go organic, sintered or paddle.

ECU? 

Adjustable pressure regulator as well as 3F pump.

Edited by dvderlm

kizerfluid

Thanks for you reply dvderlm as for the bracket i think i can knock one of them up myself as iv got a grinder and mig welder and a mk3 golf body and chassis as scrap metal. ECU wise im planning to use the AEE ECU and fuel pump wise i will probably go with a universal 3 bar pump like i did before on my old mk2f when i put the 3F engine in as the GT pumps are hard to find these days and are normally quite pricey when they do come up for sale where as a universal 3 bar is going to cost £20 - £25 and comes with a 1 - 2 year warranty ok it means chopping the fuel pump electrical connectors to fit the universal and the pump holder under the car is slightly too small for the universal pumps but i managed it before by wrapping part of the holder round the pump then made a harness out of cable ties once the fuel lines were connected and the electrical connections were done it was solid under there no way it was going to fall down or get knocked out of place.

my main worrie at the moment is that the mk2f gearbox is not going to bolt up to the AEE even though pretty much everywhere iv read has said "If its an AEE from a polo no need to change the gearbox/flywheel/starter/clutch" "If its and AEE from a golf you need to put a mk2f flywheel/gearbox/clutch and starter on it before it will fit"

Thats the main bit i need to confirm really as this AEE is from a Golf and i can say right now there is no way its fitting in a mk2f with the gearbox that's on it at the moment the mounts are in the wrong place, starter is on the wrong side of the engine and gear linkages are completely different.

Thanks again

kizerfluid

Ok so after digging though the depths of the internet iv found out that the AEE i have has a 020 gearbox on and the gear linkages and front gearbox mount are different and won't fit in the mk2f how ever there is 2 resolutions to this i can make / buy a 020 to 085 conversion plate that will allow me to use any 085 box on a 020 engine but i will have to change the flywheel to a mk2f flywheel with a slim line starter from a 1994 mk2f or i can buy a gearbox off a Polo 6n2 1.9 diesel with the code FFV as it is essentially a 020 bell housing with a 085 box attached to it so it has the correct linkage attachment and mount for front gearbox mount this gearbox seems to be one of the only 020 gearbox's with the correct bolts and patterns on the bell housing to mount a 085 box as all other 020 boxes the bolts go the opposite way as the 085 box bolts to the bell housing from inside the bell housing where as most 020 box's bolt to the bell housing with the bolts going though the gearbox into the bell housing which means in my case i could essentially do this:

Get hold of a bell housing from a 6n2 1.9 diesel FFV gearbox then just bolt the box from the AAV to it.

or

buy the complete FFV gearbox and just bolt it on to the AEE then it will drop straight in and work and from what i have heard the FFV gearbox is a pretty tough box the only thing that worries me is its gear ratios as its coming from a 1.9 diesel so its a bigger engine with more BHP for one and its a diesel and diesels have more torque than petrol's it may make the AEE struggle but im unsure.

there is also a gearbox from a 1.7 diesel polo that looks promising but i am unsure whether it will fit or not yet will do some more research then update

kizerfluid
On 11/21/2017 at 23:02, kizerfluid said:

there is also a gearbox from a 1.7 diesel polo that looks promising but i am unsure whether it will fit or not yet will do some more research then update

Okay so after fining no end of dead ends on information on this topic here is some info for anyone else looking to do this conversion in the future:

Simplest way to do this conversion is get a 1.6 AEE engine from a 6n Polo as that variant of the engine uses 085 gearboxes and will drop straight in.

If you have a mk3 golf 1.6 AEE it will use a 020 gearbox which will need to be changed in order to fit the MK2F easiest and cheapest way to do this is to find a FFV gearbox off of a 1.7 SDI or 1.9 SDI 6n2 Polo.

Alternatively you can buy a 020 to 085 conversion plate which bolts too your engine and will allow you to use any 085 gearbox but you will also have to change the engines flywheel to one from a mk2f engine as the clutch systems inside the 085 & 020 boxes are different and a standard 085 clutch system will not work on a mk3 golf flywheel (Unless its the 1.4 ABD engine which is essentially a 1.4 version of the AAV/AAU and it uses 085 box's the same as any mk2f engine. Which is why the 1.4 ABD is a much easier and cheaper swap than a 1.6 AEE)

As far as wiring go's for the AEE i am unsure if the same problems effect the 6n polo variant of the engine as well but if you have the golf version of the AEE be prepared to either chop a MK3 golf engine loom to fit the mk2f plug for the fuse box (meaning yes you will have to chop a mk2f engine loom as well for the plug for the fuse box unless you can find just the plug for sale somewhere) Or you can buy a pre converted loom but these tend to be expensive and finding them is getting harder now.

The route i am going:

Sourcing a FFV gearbox why? because its cheaper than a conversion plate and once i have one if the gearbox blows i can just swap the bell housing off it to another 085 gearbox.

Chopping mk3 golf loom to fit mk2f fuse box plug why? because it is cheaper and i don't mind a challenge as it is i had to re wiring my GT loom to get it running again as previous owner of the engine had chopped the loom to get the engine running in a different car also one of my friends is pretty handy with car electronics and i have the pin diagrams for the engine to fuse box plug so i know what wires need to go where (Can find the diagram in any decent workshop manual in my case a Haynes manual)

Hope this info help some people out as i have found so meany dead ends myself on the internet or contradicting information i have worked most of this out by looking a blueprints for the 020 and 085 gearboxes and studying there bolt patterns from engine to bell housing an from bell housing to gearbox even looked at the way the clutch systems work its been a headache but i now think i am at a point of where i could comfortably rebuild a 020 or 085 gearbox without having to worry to hard about where stuff went.

For anyone wondering why the FFV gearbox is the best choice in my opinion it is because it is a strange hybrid like gearbox as it has the 020 bell housing so will bolt up to the golf engine no problem but at the same time the actual gearbox that sits behind the bell housing is a 085. Why did VW make such a strange gearbox? i don't know but i am very glad they did as it solves this problem really well and as i said if the actual FFV gearbox blows you can just swap the bell housing off it to any other 085 gearbox and it will bolt up to it. So really if you are lucky enough to just find just the bell housing off a FFV gearbox and have a 085 gearbox laying around unused you could join the 2 and it would bolt up to the golf AEE engine (assuming you have already changed to a mk2f flywheel) and drop straight into your MK2F polo and i think that would be the cheapest way to do this conversion as just a bell housing will probably sell for a lot less than a whole gearbox + its not as heavy for the postman if you are getting it delivered but so far i have not found any FFV bell housing's for sale only whole gearbox's of the refurbished kind which are too expensive for me just want a beaten 2nd hand one mainly for the bell housing haha

Edited by kizerfluid