Sign in to follow this  
Bob5ki

Mk2 Buying Guide

Bob5ki

Hello All, 

New to the forum & not sure where the best place to put this was so Mods please feel free to move.

Looking for help/tips/buying guide for a mk2 polo Derby 1989. From the pictures it looks in fairly good shape, few dings around the body work & carb needs some work but interior is sweet & no other major issues that I can see.

steveo3002

rust is the number 1 killer , you or someone experienced need to look over every inch for rust or signs that its been covered up  /hidden with underseal- petrol tank filler necks rust and cost around 60-70 to replace 

water leaks are fairly common so check for damp carpets , the battery tray can rust and leak near the pedals

carbs are often trouble on these , check it starts and idles nicley from cold and again when hot , not really a big deal as they can be replaced with a weber that will give no trouble  , check the gearbox works well and sounds smooth they can sometimes leak and lazy owners run them with low oil and ruin them

other than that most stuff is cheap and easy to fix - just buy the most rust free unmolsted car you can get 

Bob5ki

Thank you for the response.

I've been told that there is some issue with the carbs so depending on how bad it is I will either repair or replace with a weber.

I have met the guy selling it a few times (friend of a friend) but still prefer to check it over myself when I see it. Will also ask if the petrol filler neck has been replaced.

I think body work is the only major issue with the carbs, rest I have been told is solid and looks it from the pictures too. 

Will be putting it straight into storage post sale though as I don't currently have the space to work on it.

steveo3002

bash the reg number into the mot history site , see if theres any mention of corrosion in the past

Bob5ki

So I did an MOT history check, it was SORN from 2012-2017 & no mention of corrosion in MOT history.

The first MOT 2017 was a lot of brake hoses & fuel lines were corroded but appears to be fixed.

What is: "Offside Front Macpherson strut has slight movement at the upper attachment"

Only has 50k miles on it, not sure if thats good or bad

Edited by Bob5ki

dvderlm

That's the top mount in the suspension turret. Polo's have dangling suspension at the front, with a rubber donut and bearing top-mount. The donut gets compressed and the shock absorber locknut does not hold it tight. 

Take the black plastic mexican hats off the turrets and you'll see the shock absorber rod standing proud. Should be the same and not very loose. 

steveo3002

cheap and easy to fix too

any older car will need a few bits sorting to make it right , so dont expect it be like new and never need any jobs

Bob5ki

Nothing too major then. 

Aware it'll need some work & desperate to get to work on it as it'll give me the chance to work on an older car.

Unfortunately will have to store it for a few months while I get a house with a garage, any car covers you could recommend as it might be outside for a period of time

dvderlm

Just make sure the cover cannot blow off... i had to use an extra ratchet strap for a fitted cover with elasticated corners>

I have used a tarpaulin and eyelets and nylon rope. be prepared to remove moisture eg fan-heater, dehumidifier, cat litter.