Sign in to follow this  
Huggy444

1990 Polo Saloon

Huggy444

Hi All,

First post in here, but frequent a few other forums (mainly Jap Car Forums.....).

Just been and purchased my 1990 1.0 5 spd Saloon yesterday, bought it on a whim as my 'slammed' Mk5 Golf TDi daily decided to break and I really can't be bothered to fix it yet in this cold

Its a very tidy looking car, the bodywork is pristine except and I haven't noticed any rust yet (Fingers crossed!). 

PoloSmall.jpg

Has a few niggly little problems, the handbrake cable has snapped, the exhaust sits very low and rattles like a bugger, plus it cuts out when stopping for red lights etc (presumably due to the idle mixture?). 

It's also in need of some engine mounts, presumably the rear as the engine rocks when on/off throttle... Wheres the best place to find one?! 

Alex

Edited by Huggy444

Yeti

Solid looking car - I like that!

You should be able to get the engine mount rubbers from most parts places, there's been a few other options for the rear mount over the years, poly and solid, but I've found them to be really harsh, so better to stick with standard.

Handbrake cable will be any parts place. There's a changeover between new and old cables in 1984, obviously, it'll be the later one. 

Cutting out on idle is one of those daft little things that can take a lot of finding on these cars. I'd start with checking for vac leaks or pipes not plugged in. The pierburg carbs on these cars come in for a lot of flak from people saying they're not reliable, the reality is they're often never cleaned out because they're a complex design that's not easy to work on. 

Huggy444

I have found a link to a standard rear mount on ebay, so going to get that ordered. Handbrake needs the middle piece, I think GSF do one so will sort that out at the same time. 

Cheers @Yeti, the carb seems to be getting better, the car had sat for a few years before I got it so I assume it has filled with debris and it slowly clearing, if it doesn't sort itself in the next few days I'll have replace a few lines and fiddle around with it properly. 

kiran_182

These always seem to be 1l 

Nice colour, looks pretty solid. Saloon was never popular at launch but is now one of peoples favourites

• Like 1