Sign in to follow this  
MK2FKieran

MK2F 1.3 Breadvan won’t start!

MK2FKieran

Hi everyone, 

Little background story.. when I was 17 I hastily bought a terribly painted purple breadvan, drove it 4 hours solid home and brought it to Lancashire. I sold it a long time ago and recently on my 21st birthday found out it was for sale so bought it back! (Slight downgrade from the abarth but the sentiment this car his is unbelievable). Now to cut it short, the car was a stead and never once let me down. 

I towed the car back to the garage, it’s been off the road almost 3 years, and was apparently in “dry storage” however, there was litres of liquid under the back seats, rust and damp everywhere and a lovely infestation of maggots in the firewall. Regardless, I put an old knackered mk1 fez battery up, hooked it up to a jumper and first go started up, although it was running on 3 cylinders. I then put a new dizzy cap on (correct and correct firing order), new plugs , battery and changed cylinder 4 HT lead as it wasn’t sparking hence the 3 cylinders. The problem is the car now won’t start and the plugs are getting seriously wet, it just comes gushing through, after drying the plugs many times and trying to run it solely on ether still no joy! (I forgot to mention, 4 gallons of old fuel it started up on. Have since drained and refueled as well as cranked the crap out). I was just wondering if this is a common problem or anyone has had the same? Any help massively appreciated! The car has covered 171k. Thanks! 

A446F5EE-BFFC-4D5E-B923-4B1B1C987746.jpeg

dvderlm

Rings will be a bit worn at that mileage, but should still have compression.

Recharge battery overnight.  Connect helper earth lead fron negative to block.

Try new plugs. Check each sparks before fitting with an assistant to crank.

MK2FKieran
7 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Rings will be a bit worn at that mileage, but should still have compression.

Recharge battery overnight.  Connect helper earth lead fron negative to block.

Try new plugs. Check each sparks before fitting with an assistant to crank.

Hi and thanks for the reply! Yes, I’ve still got compression, have changed new plugs already and they’ve all been tested and are working. As for the helper earth lead I don’t suppose you could elaborate slightly? 

Many many thanks,

kieran. 

dvderlm

Just use a jump lead from battery negative, to anywhere on engine block, like lifting eye. This will help cranking and spark jump if your actual earth contacts or cables are poor in anyway. Cranking drops the voltage, so the coil secondary produces even less high tension.  

kiran_182

Really nice colour on that breadvan, glad to see ots being saved

MK2FKieran
On 13/01/2018 at 16:20, dvderlm said:

Just use a jump lead from battery negative, to anywhere on engine block, like lifting eye. This will help cranking and spark jump if your actual earth contacts or cables are poor in anyway. Cranking drops the voltage, so the coil secondary produces even less high tension.  

Ahhh, I see! That’s absolutely brilliant and never thought of that, thanks!! 

MK2FKieran
22 hours ago, kiran_182 said:

Really nice colour on that breadvan, glad to see ots being saved

Hahaha thank you, it’s got to be an acquired taste hahaha! Hopefully will be in for paint after all the rust is out the way. Too much sentiment to see it rot away lol! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• mrmetallica
      By mrmetallica
      hi all. im trying to sort a exhaust for my daughters polo  but finding it confusing id like to know what mk it is and the other numbers they give the car. its a 09 1.4 polo
      also wheres a good place to get a exhaust system for her polo please
    • Defective
      By Defective
      So i recently got a VW polo 6n 1.2 3 cylinder. It come with 2 keys and both have a button in the middle of them, but they don't do anything? Anyone know what they are for? As I've tried using them for the central locking but nothing works. I also changed the batterys in them both and still nothing?
    • The_Fayz
      By The_Fayz
      Hi, I have a mk2 polo project, I have cleaned and checked the spark plugs, cleaned some of the carb jets but when I try to lift the clutch and move it, it dies, does any one have any ideas what to check or do next? I want to put some fresh fuel in aswell , thanks in advance
    • breadvan baker
      By breadvan baker
      Hi new to the Club , but wondering if anyone has had problems with a bread van Polo water temp gauge indications?
      Car arrived with temp gauge U/S. Bought a new temp sensor ( correct one as its a black, not blue, unit ) 
      Start engine and the gauge then runs up to almost max water temp in about 15 seconds.

Any ideas please? Many thanks.
    • ivogiev
      By ivogiev
      Hello,

I will do copy/paste from this add : mobile.de add
      The car is great , but I have almost no time for it and other projects on my head. I need the space. The car has new timing belt,new battery, new clutch and new fluids.
      It participated in our local VW Fest 2018 and draws a lot of attention. When I drive it people notice it.

The list of modification is very long, the car was built for the purpose of track day use, but is not stripped out and is 100% streetable.
      It is not 100% ready, it needs sway bar install and fixing of small things.
      I am not having enough time , actually I am having almost none for it so that is why it is for sale.
      I am confident to say that such Polo does not exist anywhere in the world, so here is its specs:
      - ABU engine block with documents
      - AFH head and pistons, CR ~11,5:1
      - G40 gearbox plus 2 more gearboxes in perfect condition that go with the car ( have shorter gear ratios)
      - 4 carburators from Honda CBR900RR, jetted main jets and sealed air jet.
      - Custom airbox and custom made and calculated length of intake manifold
      - Custom 4-2-1 stainless steel exhaust manifold and SS exhaust system - all calculated for particular engine
      - Custom made suspension with coil overs, A-shaped LCAs' adjustable in all angles
      - Custom made frame to which the A-shaped LCAs' connect
      - Engine and transmission rest on stock 3 pieces engine mounts, plus added 4-th infront
      - Mega Squirt 2 - controls ignition when using petrol and carburators, constrols LPG injectors and ignition when LPG is used
      - LPG system spraying after carbs, tank in place of spare tyre
      - Deep Recaro front seats from 20th anniversary Golf MK.3 with reworked stock mounts to fit the Polo ( narrower)
      - 5x100mm conversion with 15 inch Audi A3 light rims ( 5,5 kgs/ each)
      - 1 inch brake master cylinder with 4 wheel disk brakes - 256mm vented fronts with ~235mm solid from Polo 9N on the back
      - Factory GT body with black roof vinyl in great shape, OE paint
      - Car puts down 115 wheel horse power, the attached graph is without the airbox and without the Mega Squirt - I used to run it on vacuum distributor without any electronics(can be returned in that configuration)
      - Prepared stock AFH intake manifold with BMW 2.0 throttle body and 190cc injectors - if decided to return to single throttle body

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines