Sign in to follow this  
MK2FKieran

MK2F 1.3 Breadvan won’t start!

MK2FKieran

Hi everyone, 

Little background story.. when I was 17 I hastily bought a terribly painted purple breadvan, drove it 4 hours solid home and brought it to Lancashire. I sold it a long time ago and recently on my 21st birthday found out it was for sale so bought it back! (Slight downgrade from the abarth but the sentiment this car his is unbelievable). Now to cut it short, the car was a stead and never once let me down. 

I towed the car back to the garage, it’s been off the road almost 3 years, and was apparently in “dry storage” however, there was litres of liquid under the back seats, rust and damp everywhere and a lovely infestation of maggots in the firewall. Regardless, I put an old knackered mk1 fez battery up, hooked it up to a jumper and first go started up, although it was running on 3 cylinders. I then put a new dizzy cap on (correct and correct firing order), new plugs , battery and changed cylinder 4 HT lead as it wasn’t sparking hence the 3 cylinders. The problem is the car now won’t start and the plugs are getting seriously wet, it just comes gushing through, after drying the plugs many times and trying to run it solely on ether still no joy! (I forgot to mention, 4 gallons of old fuel it started up on. Have since drained and refueled as well as cranked the crap out). I was just wondering if this is a common problem or anyone has had the same? Any help massively appreciated! The car has covered 171k. Thanks! 

A446F5EE-BFFC-4D5E-B923-4B1B1C987746.jpeg

dvderlm

Rings will be a bit worn at that mileage, but should still have compression.

Recharge battery overnight.  Connect helper earth lead fron negative to block.

Try new plugs. Check each sparks before fitting with an assistant to crank.

MK2FKieran
7 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Rings will be a bit worn at that mileage, but should still have compression.

Recharge battery overnight.  Connect helper earth lead fron negative to block.

Try new plugs. Check each sparks before fitting with an assistant to crank.

Hi and thanks for the reply! Yes, I’ve still got compression, have changed new plugs already and they’ve all been tested and are working. As for the helper earth lead I don’t suppose you could elaborate slightly? 

Many many thanks,

kieran. 

dvderlm

Just use a jump lead from battery negative, to anywhere on engine block, like lifting eye. This will help cranking and spark jump if your actual earth contacts or cables are poor in anyway. Cranking drops the voltage, so the coil secondary produces even less high tension.  

kiran_182

Really nice colour on that breadvan, glad to see ots being saved

MK2FKieran
On 13/01/2018 at 16:20, dvderlm said:

Just use a jump lead from battery negative, to anywhere on engine block, like lifting eye. This will help cranking and spark jump if your actual earth contacts or cables are poor in anyway. Cranking drops the voltage, so the coil secondary produces even less high tension.  

Ahhh, I see! That’s absolutely brilliant and never thought of that, thanks!! 

MK2FKieran
22 hours ago, kiran_182 said:

Really nice colour on that breadvan, glad to see ots being saved

Hahaha thank you, it’s got to be an acquired taste hahaha! Hopefully will be in for paint after all the rust is out the way. Too much sentiment to see it rot away lol! 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this