Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Leaky hoses, what clips to use?

NebulaicToaster

Having got my polo on the road it's losing coolant from the connections for the hoses at the base of the rad, and where that hose connects to the thermostat housing. I thought it was because of an old hose but I replaced it (along with the jubilee clips holding them on) and it's now leaking more! (Worse in cold weather I assume due to contraction)

I read up and apparently the spring clips are better than jubilee (even though they're a pain to put on) but having now put the spring clips back on its still leaky. Any advice? The spring clips were old so maybe I should get new ones if so where from? Is there a magic third option to jubilee clips and the spring ones? And is there a reliable place to get rubber hosing from (what's the right diameter?).

Thanks everyone

Edit: forgot to mention I replaced the thermostat and housing when I was doing the hose

Edited by NebulaicToaster
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NebulaicToaster

• kiran_182

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

kiran_182

Thermostat housings are quite cheap to replace. No harm doing the termostat and other sensors too

Make sure the hose goes right over the housing and the spring clip is behind the lip 

NebulaicToaster

Anyone know the inner and outer diameter of the main radiator hoses? I want to get some universal hose and clips that's fit

NebulaicToaster

Having discovered I put the wrong size hose in I went looking for a new one. On some info from the forum I got a golf MK2 1.1 bottom hose but it was too long, I then went to the scrappy and found it! Upon removing it had a split in it though. My mates breaking 2f hoses were all wrong too. Can I just put a flexible hose in, one of those ribbed ones? Are they reliable? If not does anyone at all know where I can get a bottom hose for an HZ engine? Part number 030121061