Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

AVY Oil Usage/Rocker Seal

mbusby993

Rocker covers on the 1.6 GTI. It’s an AVY but the Lupo GTI. Figure it’s gonna be the same and I trust the knowledge of folks in here more than they Lupo groups... GSF list sealant as opposed to a rubber gasket, is that the norm on these? My partners seems to be using a fair bit of oil and was going to try replacement of gasket first as it does look like it’s leaked... but seems as though there isn’t one? 

Also does anyone with a GTI find that they use any oil in general? Showing a few ill-looking symptoms, IE a bit of mayo under the cap and smoky exhaust as well as previously mentioned oil usage. But dubious to diagnose failing headgasket as you do see the odd symptom at this time of year. Small flecks of oil out the exhaust have me torn between diagnosis though... normally I would be thinking the headgasket at the point of the displayed symptoms but it’s been using oil and a tad smoky the whole time she’s had the car (4 years)... :unknw:

Engine is on 120k.

B14A08F4-B25B-4984-9855-E544F82A1932.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mbusby993

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

mbusby993

I thought as much. It’s seems it’s also a cambelt off job to reseal the gasket so a bit more involved than I was hoping! It is overdue a cambelt change anyway to be fair. 

I'm a bit concerned at the symptom it’s showing to be honest. There’s mayo under the cap, which I know is going to be down to the cold weather and that’s it’s only been run to work and back lately. We’re giving it a run down to Brum tomorrow to visit Jon and the G. But it’s used around 1.5l of oil in the 2months (give or take a couple of weeks) that it’s been back on the road, as well as the fact it’s smoking a fair bit out the back, smells rich and has been chucking oil down the exhaust. There are specks of oil all up the rear and on the number plate etc. It’s water level also dropped enough that the light came on, recently. Those few things together (to me) point to headgasket, but she says it’s been like it for most of the time she’s owned it. :unknw:

nige8021

Yeah the can cover acts as the camshafts upper bearing, so you'd need to release the cambelt before you remove the cover and there is a special tool required for setting the camshafts before fitting the cam to can belt

mbusby993

Looks like I’ve got a busy day ahead of me in the nearby future then! Really hoping we can sort this engine cos it’d be a shame, it’s a rare little car in that colour and spec now. 

nige8021

1.5l in two months does initially sound high, but how many miles are we talking about ? Before you rip into a head stripdown, do a wet& dry compression test as that'll give you an idea if its valve or piston/bore related, also give the breather system a good clean out as if its partially blocked it could cause excessive pressure in the crankcase breather system so forcing oil into the combustion

mbusby993

Not a great amount in the grand scheme. Mostly about 4 miles a day to work and back (hence me not overdiagnosing head gasket) and we took it to Nottingham from Stoke in December. Most of the long runs have fallen to the Polo though because the Lupo wasn’t running right. Cheap cam sensor that I yesterday replaced for a genuine one and that’s cured that issue. Brum today will give it a bit of an run! 

My thoughts exactly, I was going to compression test, blast out the breathers and replace timing belt/reseal the rocker cover and see if that’s helps. If the head goes we’ll do that anyway but I’m still not convinced that’s the issue, I reckon it’s just clogged up and leaking oil. 

• 2 weeks later...
mbusby993

Okay, going on from this, I replaced the cam sensor chasing an old issue. A non genuine one was fitted and made the car run like crap. I replaced with the old genuine one and now the car runs okay, except for the first 2-3 minutes of running where the car misfires and splutters. I’m yet to reset the ECU but not sure if this would affect it. 

Any ideas on why it would run lumpy on warmup?