Sign in to follow this  
Chrispop

Polo 1.6 L 6kv2 1997 Saloon

Chrispop

Starting a fresh thread for my Polo Saloon 1997!

Thought it was best as I first debuted it on the introductions thread page :tongue:

I have owned it since October, and have sadly not really had much time (or money mainly) to do anything to it. 
It's been an awesome daily, and is fun to drive. It really does need work though.

I'm going to attach some pictures of it, and update this thread whenever I do anything to it, hopefully you guys will enjoy!

Regarding the plans for it, the first thing that needs doing is it's clutch, then sort out it's perishables, then get me some nicer wheels!

IMG-20171025-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Chrispop

Chrispop

IMG_20171022_132349622 (1).jpg

IMG_20171022_132504353 (1).jpg

Edited by Chrispop

Chrispop

The only work that's been done on it so far is some fairly standard service replacements such as the air filter, distributor cap, spark plugs, rotor arm.
These were all prompted to be replaced as it was occasionally taking 5-10 minutes to turn over and start. Every other time it'd start perfectly, even when it was completely iced.
There was a bad connection on the fuel pump which was cleaned and refitted as well.

Since then, it had worked perfectly until about 3 weeks ago when it did it once or twice, but hasn't done it since.
I ordered a new fuel filter to put in, but haven't got around to fitting it yet.

Other than that, the only thing that had gone wrong was me running over a bolt and getting a flatty!
Turns out the space saver looks ridiculous on it lol, that's why I need bigger wheels! :tongue:
Also I live down a country lane, so ignore the mud!!

IMG_20171218_160446036.jpg

Edited by Chrispop

kiran_182

For some reason the more modern polos look odd as a saloon yet the mk2 looks natural

Whats the plans for this, lower with new wheels?

Chrispop
1 hour ago, kiran_182 said:

For some reason the more modern polos look odd as a saloon yet the mk2 looks natural

Whats the plans for this, lower with new wheels?

Yeah I know what you mean! There's a mk2 saloon near me locally and it's gorgeous! Hopefully a few changes and we can get this looking better! :smile:

Yeah, I think lowering is needed, new wheels are also on the list, these are only 14's so I'm thinking 16/17's to go for.

Just going to get some vitals doing before visuals; clutch, brakes, suspension.

mbusby993

You mighty struggle with 17s, although I’m not sure how different the arch space is to a 6n. Personally I feel even 16’s look too big on 6n’s. I had 15x6s fitted to mine back on the day on 195/45/15’s and it looked spot on, although was quite low...

61D48980-559A-4979-BB28-092CBBC06D6F.jpeg

• Like 1

Chrispop
1 hour ago, mbusby993 said:

You mighty struggle with 17s, although I’m not sure how different the arch space is to a 6n. Personally I feel even 16’s look too big on 6n’s. I had 15x6s fitted to mine back on the day on 195/45/15’s and it looked spot on, although was quite low...

61D48980-559A-4979-BB28-092CBBC06D6F.jpeg

Damn that does look good!

I think I'll give 16's a go to start with and see how it goes, I think 17's are a bit wishful thinking! I can always go down to 15 if it looks better when I get some coilovers on :smile:

• Like 1

mbusby993

With 16’s you probably won’t be able to go too low unless you have some narrow wheels with friendly offsets. These shape Polo’s only came with 13’s standard, you can’t go too big without rolling arches and adding camber. But there’s plenty of info on here about wheels... Just need to know your basic wheel specs. 

Chrispop

One of my passenger door locks snapped as it was brittle plastic and I couldn't open the door, so I replaced all of them!

IMG_20180214_113758396-min.png

Chrispop

Also the polo didn't start today, think it's got to be the fuel pump that needs changing.