Polo mk2 breadvan 1990 camshaft worn

NotAGremlin

Hi all,

ive got a 1990 H reg breadvan, its been sitting for a while, started it yesterday to let it charge the battery, just idling for a few minutes, and it started making a loud tappet noise which got louder with the oil fill cap removed , pulled off the cam cover, found some scoring and maybe a flat spot on one of the lobes, some metal shavings were in the oil around the cam and on the dipstick.

i put oil directly on the lobes, cover back on and started it, was perfectly normal for about 10 seconds then it rattled again

the oil light doesnt come on or anything like that so im thinking it has oil pressure?

it never made any noise like that before, had the local garage do a full service on it a month ago, its done about 50 miles since then, no problems then either

it did have a new cambelt, 10w40 synthetic oil and a filter but its still quite sooty and dirty looking

the car also runs rough at low engine speeds with no vacuum leaks or timing issues or anything as far as me or the garage can tell

how do i stop it? 

ive got some 20w50 in the shed, will that work temporarily or am i looking at a new cam and tappets or a new engine?

Cheers
Harry

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiran_182

• NotAGremlin

Top Posters In This Topic