Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Please help misfire

Hi everyone I am new to VW and really enjoying my 89 breadvan with a 1.3 manual choke Weber carb. I have recently been having a problem with the engine it has started to misfire and will only run if the choke is out hot or cold and won't idle it just cuts out. You can drive it with the choke out but you can feel it misfiring at low engine RPM, if you accelerate it's fine and doesn't miss but with choke in and dip the clutch it just immediately dies. 

Can anyone help it would be much appreciated I am completely stumped as where to begin looking.

Thanks 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brooks44

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

• Tattycartravels

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

possibly blocked idle jets

or air leak at rubber base mount...

Spray brake cleaner around the outside of the carb and see if the revs rise , one way of finding an air leak. Good luck 

Ok I might have to rebuild the carb and replace that gasket and see what happens I have to say I am a bit worried just checking the oil level and found some cream on the oil cap really hoping it's not head gasket but it's not smoking or lost coolant. There is also some cream in a breather hose in the air filter housing ?? 

15 hours ago, Brooks44 said:

also some cream in a breather hose in the air filter housing

very normal in damp weather and only short journeys I reckon.

Is the warm air hose from exhaust manifold intact?

• Thanks 1

Yes. It's likely to cause condensation in inlet manifold (like a cold beer can from the fridge in a steamy kitchen) and some moisture will be sucked in through inlet valves.  If the breather on back of block is not crudded up and sucks through inlet manifold  then any condensation of damp air that actually gets past piston rings and to oil when engine cold will soon get boiled away from the hot oil (20 mins at operating temp). But if the air entering is already warmed it's less likely for dampness to condense. A tin of beans from the cupboard does not get all wet in a steamy kitchen.

Better to keep the moisture out to begin with. Also much less likely to encounter carb icing where crystals form at carb venturi, for example  in fog several degrees above freezing.

VW developed the hedgehog preheater and thermo-vacuum-valve and hot-air flap mechanism because their engineers worked out it was a good idea, not on a whim of let's add some random stuff that increases the cost of the engine and assembly.