mckln335

VW Polo 6N2 Door Locks

mckln335

Hello everyone,

I bought a 2000 VW Polo 6N2 last October as a car to use during the winter so I didn't have to use the motorbike. When I bought it there was no lock cylinder in the driver's side door, so I've never been able to lock it. Now i'm thinking about selling it and would like to sort the locks out. This is where it gets confusing. I bought a pair of cylinders c/w keys, paddles and springs thinking that would sort it (1st image). I also bought a lock repair kit just in case any bits were missing (2nd image). I then took the passenger's side door handle off to check whether the lock cylinder was the same as the one I had bought. It turns out they are different (3rd image). Were there 2 types of locks fitted to these cars or am I missing something here? I can find loads of repair kits on eBay etc. to repair the type of lock that I have but I can't find the lock cylinder itself anywhere. I don't think the hook type shown in the 1st image will fit as there are lugs missing and the part where the key goes in appears to be smaller in diameter. I don't want to spend a fortune as the car isn't worth a huge amount but I'd like to get it sorted for the next owner if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

DSC_03571.jpg

nige8021

First welcome to the forum.

Yes there are two types of locks fitted your fist picture is the early ones and the repair kit is for the later ones

mckln335

Hi Nige,

Thanks, good to be here. 

Thanks for your reply, that's what I thought. What would you say my options are then? Either try and source a couple of handles with keys from the scrappy or speak to a VW Dealer? If I got a pair of the early type second hand handle assemblies from a scrappy, would the paddles fit in the same way as my existing ones would?

Cheers, 

Mark 

nige8021

I would try and source some "new" style locks there must be plenty being broken on eBay or try StevensVW dismantles in Essex they normally have plenty of 6N2's in stock 

mckln335

Hi Nige,

Thanks, will do :thumbsup:.

Cheers,

Mark

mckln335

Hi Nige, 

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I sourced some 2nd hand locks from Stevens VW and fitted them yesterday morning, even the central locking still worked! Thanks again! 

Cheers, 

Mark 

nige8021

Glad you've got it sorted :thumbsup: