Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Mk2 Coupé S project 1.3 engine performance help!

Hi

I’m relatively new to the polo scene but have build a reasonable amount of knowledge on them already. I brought a non running mk2 Coupé s as a project. The previous owner had done a 1.4 afh engine swap, but the cam belt slipped so has suspected bend valves etc. I am looking to swap it back to the 1275cc standard engine. So have brought a mk2f breadvan as a donner ( mostly for engine parts ) and am wondering what some of the best things I can do to that engine (and the car in general) to increase BHP, performance etc ? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It already has a 5 speed gear box fitted. 

Thanks 

Jack

ps sorry for accidentally posting 3 times 

Edited by Jack1902
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jack1902

• MonsterL35YFP

• steveo3002

• kiran_182

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You only need to change the inline fuel pump and maybe the front fuel hoses, everything else should pretty much bolt on 

MonsterL35YFP

Hello, it mainly depends on how much you wish to spend and the donor engine I'm assuming it's the SPI (single point injection) in that case you could change to bike carbs or something along those lines, 4-2-1 manifold maybe be a GT cam or another performance cam but the best way to start is to give it a full service make sure all the HT leads are in good nick and your dizzy and rotor arm.

Edited by MonsterL35YFP

Hi, cheers for the info. Yeah it’s got the spi system was thinking about maybe trying to find a gt injection system and also a gt cam as you mentioned. Also thought about getting the head ported and polished  so would probably benefit from getting a 4-2-1 aswell.

MonsterL35YFP

Yeah all are a good for performance upgrades, with the GT injection system you have to get everything complete loom, inlet, fuel pump, injection rail, ecu  and not many people are willing to break them very often now but they did do a none GT engine with an injection system it was a HZ engine code and even some 1.3 MK2 golfs/jettas came with the same system so keep an eye out on eBay or on this forum. 

25 minutes ago, MonsterL35YFP said:

Yeah all are a good for performance upgrades, with the GT injection system you have to get everything complete loom, inlet, fuel pump, injection rail, ecu  and not many people are willing to break them very often now but they did do a none GT engine with an injection system it was a HZ engine code and even some 1.3 MK2 golfs/jettas came with the same system so keep an eye out on eBay or on this forum. 

Yeah I’ll keep an eye out for the cam and injection 

steveo3002

if you havent sourced an engine then the 1400 abd is a direct swap and looks the same , all the gt parts fit the same etc 

4 hours ago, kiran_182 said:

Youll need to gt fuel pump too as the spi one cant keep up at full throttle

Mmm yeah quite a big job, might be one for the summer 

kwijibo_coupe

Since the car was previously running an AFH I'd say the fuel supply to the engine will be adequate enough to run the GT injection.

1 hour ago, kwijibo_coupe said:

Since the car was previously running an AFH I'd say the fuel supply to the engine will be adequate enough to run the GT injection.

Good point, it has been changed from original and also has a leak that needs fixing so I’ll check while I’m under there.