MrLuke (MrLuke)

Rev Issue when pulling away & gear change difficulties

MrLuke (MrLuke)

Hello!

I have my first car, a 2006 1.4 petrol, which has a full 12 year service history, stamped etc, clutch under 1yr old, cambelt only recently changed, and has been serviced in the past 6 months. It's been taken care of, with some seemingly sensible owners in the past. I also have not made any physical adjustments to the car.

I have 2 problems, which may or may not be linked, so I decided to put them in one thread:

1) Rev Issue when pulling away

2) Gear change issue

Rev Issue when pulling away

So my car sits idle fine, however when I put my foot on the accelerator, say 1 inch down, the revs take 3-4 seconds to build up - there is also no give between being at 1000 revs and shooting up to 3000. It also fluctuates loads.

This is a much different experience from the 2.0L Audi A3 Diesel I practiced in, where you'd put your foot down an inch and the revs would hit 1400 straight away with no fluctuation.

This problem is also intermittent, especially after not driving the car for a while (overnight, end of work etc) or when performing a hill start from a junction. I could put my foot down slightly, nothing happens, then i put it down a bit more and suddenly I'm at 3500 revs.

When I lift the clutch, the revs suddenly drop - sometimes I have to drop the clutch back down to stop it from stalling. It also can judder a lot. I've tried pulling away with much higher revs, but they almost always seem to drop down below 800 when I get past the bite. The only method which seems to work sometimes is to keep increasing the accelerator whilst lifting the clutch, but this is not ideal at all.

During the service (at a garage I 100% trust) they noticed that an air pipe leading into the engine had supposedly come lose, which they refitted. This made the experience slightly better, but not much.

Gear change issue

I bought this up with my garage when I had the cambelt and auxiliary changed, and they said that I should see how it goes over the next few weeks. It's not got worse, however it's definitely not got better.

This happens most often in 2nd gear, and sometimes in 1st - the gear isn't located properly. I have to properly make sure that it is in place before I lift the clutch, otherwise it'll grind and go crazy (as you'd expect). It can also pop back into neutral. 

I also noticed, that when my clutch is completely down, and I feel my gear stick, I can feel a force juddering it slightly when in 1st - surely this should be completely still when my clutch is disengaged? I had my suspicions that the clutch was too loose and not disengaging the gear correctly. I don't know much about cars but it seems plausible. 

The actual gear change also feels like I'm grinding something, again when I'm in 2nd gear. Unlike the smooth change from 4th to 5th, 1st to 2nd is very un-smooth (so is 3rd to 2nd).

I've likely missed an important piece of information out, so if I have then please let me know. As I said, I'm pretty new to car mechanics but I have initiative to google anything technical you mention and work it out so you don't have to teach me like I'm five :lol:

I look forwards to hearing your advice

Luke

dvderlm

Welcome

How many miles?

Did the advert say "one careful owner"? but the others were lead footed swine.

Did the garage read for fault codes?

maybe a sensor.

google clutch release bearing and vw cable change gearbox alignment procedure

MrLuke (MrLuke)
7 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Welcome

How many miles?

Did the advert say "one careful owner"? but the others were lead footed swine.

Did the garage read for fault codes?

maybe a sensor.

google clutch release bearing and vw cable change gearbox alignment procedure

a. just peaked 100,000 miles (hence the recent cam belt change), I've done 1,600 miles in 8 months (~3 mile journey to work) so I'm not driving it lots but I'm driving it 5 days a week.

b. It was a part-ex in a garage (different to the garage I use), as I said there is a full service history, stamped etc, car visually in a good condition, expected scratches and stuff on the paintwork, and no 'dodgy' looking paintwork or different colours of panels (suggesting there's been nothing replaced). It's also a dark green colour so I'd imagine boy racers would avoid it!

c. I don't know if they did read for fault codes but I know one of the mechanics did take it for a drive to see how it performs. He agreed that there was a slight issue but wasn't anything to be worried about. Should I ask them to do a check on this?

d. Originally, when they serviced the car about 6 months ago, I mentioned the accelerator sensor - my brother (who's quite knowledgeable with cars) said that the sensor on the pedal may be damaged or poorly calibrated, but the garage confirmed that this was not the case and that the sensor seemed okay. 

e. I've taken a look at the clutch release bearing and I'm seeing how it all works... hopefully it gives me a clue as to what behaviour to look for. I also watched a video (here) which suggests I'm changing gear too quickly in 1st and 2nd, which may explain the juddering and sometimes jump forwards when changing (this wasn't really a problem in the Audi I practised in).

dvderlm
5 hours ago, MrLuke (MrLuke) said:

I've taken a look at the clutch release bearing..

I hope you mean a webpage, or do you mean the bearing in your gearbox at friction-plate / flywheel junction?

Fault code readers are cheap. Anything really bad would cause an engine check light, but a fault code and snapshot of state of engine and ambient air when it occurred could help pinpoint

the issue like a clue in a detective story.