Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

MK2F 1.3 SPI no fuel being delivered.

MK2FKieran

Hi all, 

I sold my breadvan a few years back and bought it back recently, it had been in storage for 3 years and was absolutely sodden when I got it back. It started up first time and then didn’t for a very long time until changing the; HT leads, battery, dizzy cap, plugs and clearing the fuel line and fresh fuel. However, it was always flooding itself so I needed to rectify this issue - I changed the SPI unit / throttle body (at this time I didn’t realise there was no gasket). At the time of bad flooding you could hear the fuel pump priming strongly. Since then I have changed the ECU (noticed a change in fuel pump priming), oil pressure switch, both temp sensors and added a gasket to the carb flange. I managed to get the car running and ticking over today (sweeter then ever before) however it’s only willing to run on ether, and there appears to be no fuel getting to the carb. The fuel prime sounds weak now in comparison to the previous ECU. Any ideas? Should I revert to my old ECU? Fuel pump or relays? Many thanks! 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MK2FKieran

• MonsterL35YFP

• kiran_182

MonsterL35YFP

Hi mate did you put a new fuel filter in the system? Or is the fuel pump fairly new? If not sounds electronic.

MK2FKieran

Hi mate, I changed the ECU back to the suspected broken one today and started first time and ran sweet than ever before! Have to tap my accelerator every so slightly to hold the idle so going to try and adjust that as well as changing all the filters, I was just waiting to hear it run before I bought them! Cheers for the suggestion! 

MK2FKieran
On 02/03/2018 at 22:07, MonsterL35YFP said:

Good man, I'm glad its running, electrics can be a right F*in nightmare. 

Definitely! Think I got away lucky this time... although there I’ve already bear enough changed everything anyway! Nevermind! 

MK2FKieran

Damn, it appears I'm back to square one! Fired her up today to sneak to the garage down the road to bang my straight pipe on and as I was reversed the car stalled - wouldn't turn back on since, sounds like it wants to but just won't. Would the relay for the fuel pump or ECU be first port of call? I also have a spare distributor unit I can have installed and set up this week hopefully? Worth plowing more £££ into? Thanks!

MonsterL35YFP

Explain to me exactly what it does when it cuts out, is there a strong smell of fuel? I'd check the fuel pump they tend to give up when you least expect it while your at it take a look at how old  your fuel filter is crap out of the tank might be causing a block in the system. Might also be worth checking your spark plugs make sure they all look good, check your rotor arm,  As for putting more money into it, its totally upto you man I purchased my polo coupe it's the second car iv owned and Iv spent way to much money on it probably double what I actually paid for the car but in my opinion it's worth it because the f*cking thing still puts a smile on my face.

MK2FKieran
19 hours ago, MonsterL35YFP said:

Explain to me exactly what it does when it cuts out, is there a strong smell of fuel? I'd check the fuel pump they tend to give up when you least expect it while your at it take a look at how old  your fuel filter is crap out of the tank might be causing a block in the system. Might also be worth checking your spark plugs make sure they all look good, check your rotor arm,  As for putting more money into it, its totally upto you man I purchased my polo coupe it's the second car iv owned and Iv spent way to much money on it probably double what I actually paid for the car but in my opinion it's worth it because the f*cking thing still puts a smile on my face.

Hi mate, IF I can actually get it started it's almost like too low of an idle to keep the engine running and stutters out. Yeah, fuel gets right up your nose it stinks. I always seemed to assume that a blockage would starve me of fuel and not flood me? It's worth noting I only have 1/3 of the exhaust on as it stands - no centre or back yet. Maybe even a little hint of another miss (sorted one already). Spark plugs are all new too, haven't checked the rotor yet but I do get a good spark and supposedly according to the garage have decent compression. Have just had all new filters arrive so will check them tomorrow. Also took my carb out and the gasket on the top of the throttle body but underneath the carb seems to have perished and is no longer stuck down (wiggles like mad) but I cant find one anywhere and am not re-fitting the carb til I've found one! Think I could get away with gluing the original gasket down? It's a relatively thick one held down by the two prongs inside the SPI. 

Many thanks,

Kieran.

MonsterL35YFP

You could do with getting some one to keep turn the ignition so the fuel pump primes then you can check for any leaks, like around the pump or carb it kind of of sounds like some air might be getting in the system, if the compression is good then can't be head gasket, the only way it could be flooding if the fuel return line is blocked but doubtful, the only other thing is if someone has replaced the fuel pump with one that's rated to high so theres to much fuel going to the SPI/carb.

MK2FKieran

Hi mate, thanks again for your reply! I have eliminated all leaks around the carb due to changing all the gaskets, I did a full service and actually fitted an exhaust. Now everything seems pressurised my problem is obvious (except the cause of course) I took a quick video of my turning the car over showing the inside of the carb. You could be bang on the money with the uprated fuel pump actually! Here is the damage anyhow... I will text the lad who had it off me off the road for some years to see if he's been tinkering! Cheers for that and also could a relay cause me to overfuel?

- 

MonsterL35YFP

No worries mate, to me that looks like it's major over fueling, the fuel pumps on there's can be prone to fault because of where they are mounted so my theory is someone's probably brought one off eBay and chucked it on but it's rated wrong, I had to get a new one for mine and had to do alot of research on which one is right needs to be rated at around 1.2 bar. As for the relay I'm not sure if it would make it over fuel iv only ever heard of a reply stopping the pump from working at all. So see what the bloke says about it man.

MK2FKieran

Thank god, I can sleep tonight haha!! I spoke to a mechanic I sold a car to (he started sending me pics when he slammed it - e46) and he said the exact same thing! Text the guy I bought it back off asking if he''d changed it and no reply.. probably has (I hope lol). Will investigate it further tomorrow and thanks for the help very appreciated!