rickvipe

Gearbox Leak and Clutch whining

rickvipe

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and I can say that I came here for a desperate situation that I've been through in the last days. So my car is a 2000 6n2 gti 1.6 16v engine and I bought it last year. Everything ok at the beginning until one day (about 2 months after I bought it)  I noticed the clutch was slipping a bit (the car had 4 people and luggage) . So I always thought that soon I would need a new clutch. In the past couple weeks I was having fun with some mates at the roadway and after that, the clutch started to whine (nothing super loud, radio could perfectly "cover" that noise). Yesterday night I got in my car, I put the 1st gear and some metallic noises started to come from the clutch (not sure if it's the clutch) and my car lost a lot of power specially on hills (clutch slipping). Now I try to drive it and it's almost impossible, the noise it's incredibly loud, everything cracks down there and everytime I change a gear, it vibrates a lot. Now even on neutral, it whines loud and I looked under the car and it's leaking oil from the clutch housing hole (not a lot, some black drops)  when the engine is running. So, yea, I think it's easy to conclude that my clutch is completely fried and I need a new one, but what about the oil? Where does it come from? Is the gearbox done for good? 

Take note that since I turned off my car the last time I cannot put any gear, even whit the clutch pedal pressed. 

Any tip, advice, technical information would be greatly appreciated. 

Sorry about my English. Best regards from Lisbon - Portugal

Ricardo :) 

MonsterL35YFP

Hello from England, I'm not expert but either way your going to have to take the gearbox out for a new clutch which does sound like it's gone, so if it was me I would pull it out see what the clutch is like, but you shouldn't be getting any oil from the clutch area unless a seal has completely gone, then drain the oil out of the gearbox and look for any bits of metal in it that's the worse case and you will most likely need a new gearbox.

nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

Its not uncommon for the differential crown wheel to shear the rivits that hold it in place and these can punch a hole in the gearbox casing so causing your oil leak and slipping clutch ( it happened to my gearbox) So you will have remove the gearbox and take the fault finding from there, if it just a clutch replacement replace the sleeve on the input shaft that the release bearing slides on #7 in this parts listing https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2001-240/1/141-141010/#7

rickvipe

Hello everyone and thank you for those who replied to my post. I wanted to give an update about my transmission issue. Yesterday finally I took my polo to a mechanic and (as I was expecting) clutch need to be replaced. He also opened the transmission fluid bolt to drain all the oil and it came with pieces of gears on it. So it's pretty obvious that I'll need a new gearbox as well. Under the circumstances, my mechanic suggested to replace it for a reconditioned gearbox from a 1000cc polo (mpi). The thing is that I'm not sure if it's gonna be a good solution since the gear ratio must be very different comparing to my GTI... So with this, does any of you knows gearboxes that may fit on my polo from different models? Is it possible to fit a 6speed gearbox? (lupo gti's gearbox is out of my budget)? Do you know any gearboxes codes that could match with my car? 

Any information would be helpful and considered. Thank you

nige8021

Have a look at this https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/317419-085-gearbox-code-identification/  if you scroll down the posts you'll see I have linked to 2 PDFs that contains all the 085 gearbox ratios and the Polos they were fitted too, the same 085 series is also fitted to Seat Ibiza/Cordoba. You just need to make sure it comes from a cable change setup, with the Polo that means a post 1998 model as the earlier ones used a rod change system and there isn't the mounting holes in the gearbox casing to hold the cable change bracket