G40 engine bay questions.

Redbready

Hey guys n gals.

have a few things to ask about the engine bay of ny g40. Ive found several disconnected cables. And some pipes etc that dont go anywhere. Unfortunately im on my iphone and cant upload all the pics so ill put them in some replies.

the first one is this. Four connections. Nothing doesnt work. So cant work out where it goes or used to. Its near the header tank.

95E20348-C232-428F-9F92-6022CE976A1F.jpeg

A4F2692C-86CB-4B01-BC4F-D4E85EA71B66.jpeg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redbready

• kwijibo_coupe

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Next ones, the white connector is under the scuttle panel. Opposite side to the battery.

The pipes are off of the thermostat housing on the side of the cylinder head, they are not connected to anything but do not leak. Hence i am unsure where they go. Was thinking maybe to a heated inlet manifold? But if my car ever had such a thing those pipes should now leak? Right?

53179C0C-0D9E-4C99-B905-566CAD59F80B.jpeg

1AB55D54-549D-4326-9191-5777789F213B.jpeg

The first plug, the 4 pin one is for the lambda sensor.

This may have been unplugged to mask a running issue, with it unplugged the ECU will be in a safe fuel map, which is fine for running about buit isn't ideal on boost.

The second 2 pin white plug is for the front fog lights. If your car doesn't have these then that will be why it is disconnected.

The thermostat housing is meant to have those two ports 'open', they are plugged from the inside though. These Polos all use the same thermostat housing design and VW were just a bit lazy when they decided to use the same design for the MPI engines without the inlet heater.

Ok. That all makes sense.

Except the lambda sensor. The car has a chipped ecu.  It pulls like a train. Running a fair amount of boost. Id say from the performance im getting its not in safe map mode? At least i hope not. Could the lambda have been bypassed with another unit but left the original cable there? Ill have a dig tomorrow to see what its running.

Edited by Redbready

If it is still running the Digifant ECU I'd say there is slim chance the lambda has been bypassed. It's the best sensor they use to correct the fuelling. 

I can't remember if these go closed loop or not on wide open throttle. If they do it might be safe enough on wide open but just really rich on part throttle, which is safe in terms of trying not to melt things. 

They don't go into limp home limiting power like modern cars. 

Right so best to check whats still connectes etc. Suppose i could reconnect it if possible to check if it has been unplugged for any reason.

ive had the car for months and ive inly just noticed this. Meaning id hope any ill effects would have shown themselves by now. The car does cut out on a clutch dip every now and then?