dvderlm

mk2 rocker arms/solid lifters - how can I number them 1 to 8?

dvderlm

I've got some new  rocker arms to match a new cam. 

I'd like to mark them with numbers 1to8 so I can keep them matched to the same cam lobe.

They appear to be made of vibranium. Tried a 2mm hardened steel punch and it bounced off.

Paint will not survive oily environment and I don't have a diamond in my toolbox.

Ideas? 

Vedad1944

Don't want to sound dumb, and I have not tried this myself, but what about this?

• Like 1

steveo3002

wouldnt they only need numbering when dismantling the engine for work??  in which case a dab of paint or store them in seperate bags/boxes

• Like 2

Yeti

If it's not for long, get a cardboard vegetable box from the supermarket, flip it over cut holes in the base, insert the parts in the holes, write on the box what they are.

If it's for a while, get a load or drug dealer bags and label the bag. Keeps the moisture out and the oil in. 

If you're feeling flash, you can get proper organiser trays.

Edited by Yeti
  • Like 2

dvderlm

Thanks. i have used an egg box for temporary head overhaul work before.

Think the new and old cam are going to be doing the hokey-cokey until I understand and can measure the actual lift of old then new. I'm not expecting it to be driveable straight off or maybe at all.. 

Unworn rockers and lobes, same base circle I think, but longer duration. 

Also trying to work out if lash caps will be needed as the ramp is more aggressive and it is going to rev higher. Not as if they'll fit without attacking the vibranium rockers.

Yeti

They're not vibranium, they're unobtainium :)

• Haha 1

dvderlm

Shame they don't do an 8 section box I could fit valves in too. The Etzold book says to use a "Farbstift". Is that a felt-tip-pen? I'll make sure to use pink for Cymro! Beats me how even permanent pen will get through the oil on the old ones.

What do they use at scrapyards?

Edited by dvderlm