NebulaicToaster

MK2 4 speed linkage set up

NebulaicToaster

Anyone know how to set up the bolts on the coupling of a 4 speed MK2 gearbox, I can't seem to get the bolts tight and still be able to select all the gears. I don't understand the Haynes instructions to be honest. With the screw (right hand in pic) not fully tightened I can engage 3 & 4, but 1 & 2 are only available by pressing in the stick as if for reverse. Reverse cannot be achieved.  Any advice from someone who's done this before would be much appreciated.

1521476179286187690597.thumb.jpg.3b51650cc890320bf8077401797b3e00.jpgIMG_20180319_161753.thumb.jpg.0941081f1e17554d1a415ff7cd318511.jpg

Edited by NebulaicToaster

steveo3002

the bolt on the right of your picture needs to be tight ..it tightens into a dimple and shouldnt be adjustable

then loosen the left side nut and bolt so that the clamp moves on the shaft..might want some wd40 on it ...with the gearbox in neutral get a helper to hold the gearstick where netural should be and tighten the clamp

if the gears do feel right keep fiddling until the they do...so box still in neutral..hold the stick to the left or right a smidge and try again 

NebulaicToaster
1 hour ago, steveo3002 said:

the bolt on the right of your picture needs to be tight ..it tightens into a dimple and shouldnt be adjustable

then loosen the left side nut and bolt so that the clamp moves on the shaft..might want some wd40 on it ...with the gearbox in neutral get a helper to hold the gearstick where netural should be and tighten the clamp

if the gears do feel right keep fiddling until the they do...so box still in neutral..hold the stick to the left or right a smidge and try again 

I'll give that a go in the morning. Cheers

Is it about the same method as this post?

NebulaicToaster

Anyone know where to get hold of the 4 speed shift finger? 171711231A. I can't find it on eBay and the one I got doesn't fit, it's for the 5 speed later models