Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Polo bouncing around too much

Hey Everyone!

I have a Polo 9n (2002) 1.2 litre 3 door. 

I have noticed that when I go over a bump or anything in the road there is a slight knock on the front passenger side wheel assembly. Also when I go on a speed hump, it bounces down too much, to the point im worried the front bumper may scrape the ground as it bounces after the speed hump.

When i get out of the car and push it down, it doesn't oscillate that much when I let it go from either front side, but it is easier to push down on the passenger side. 

I think the noise is from a bushing which needs replacing, however the failing suspension, do I fix that by replacing the gas strut or the spring, or the whole assembly? Do i have to replace the front set or can I just replace the passengers side.

Has anyone ever done this before?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kazz900

• nige8021

• Yeti

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

The bushes on the track control arms are a known weak point on this model, you can replace just one side, but chances are the other side will be almost as bad so better to replace both sides

Any advisories on the last MOT? That might tell you where to start looking. 

10 hours ago, nige8021 said:

The bushes on the track control arms are a known weak point on this model, you can replace just one side, but chances are the other side will be almost as bad so better to replace both sides

Okay! Thanks for the heads up. I will have a look at how to replace them.

2 hours ago, Yeti said:

Any advisories on the last MOT? That might tell you where to start looking. 

Good idea, Now that I check, It failed MOT last summer because of the bushings; but then it passed without those items and the same advisory, so I assume those items had been fixed?? :S 

• Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.2)

Advisory notice item(s)

• Anti-lock braking system wiring damaged but not excessively (3.4.3)