MonsterL35YFP

Cambelt tracking to one side

MonsterL35YFP

Hello polo people I post on here way to often at the moment but I'm having a slight issue with my cam belt it seems to be tracking to one side that much that the lip of the belt is just off the cam sprocket, now iv changed the water pump and belt plus the aux belt, my thinking is that the water pump is slightly off centre or iv tightened the aux belt to much. But just incase is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Cheers 

IMG_20180415_151811.jpg

IMG_20180316_121454.jpg

caretakerplus

I have seen this phenomena many times, and never quite worked out what causes it.

As you say yourself, the first thing to come to mind, would be that the pump sprocket (because that is the only one with flanges on it) is too far 'out' from the engine, but as it does not use a gasket, just an 'O' ring, it is difficult to imagine that it would in fact be out of alignment.

It would be easy to blame after market pumps, but I have seen this with genuine VW pumps as well.

The good news is, that they never seem to get any worse, although of course, it is as well to keep an eye on the belt wear.

I hope that you get a more definitive answer, as I am interested in that as well.

Regards

MonsterL35YFP

Yeah it's strange iv taken it on a long drive and doesn't seem to go past that point so I can't really see it coming off, I'm going to adjust the aux belt tension, I think it's abit over tight but I can't really see that being the problem, it's more of a irritat more then anything. So I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on what's causing it. Cheers for your help tho mate 

kwijibo_coupe

I've seen this happen on a few of mine too. No idea what the cause or solution is. All I can say is it has never been the source of any issues in my experience. Just one of those slightly annoying Polo querks.

MonsterL35YFP

Well abit of an update the belt has started to rub on belt cover somewhere but the belt feels abit to tight so thinking of putting it back a touch see if it helps. 

steveo3002

did it run true before you fitted new parts?

MonsterL35YFP

Yeah it was spot on 

steveo3002

has to be the parts youve fitted then....pump on the skew /made badly

MonsterL35YFP

I would have said water pump so I'll take it off and see if it spins straight 

steveo3002

guessing the bearing mount is slightly off so its not square to the engine ...or theres some crap under one of the bolts

MonsterL35YFP

So i let the tension off slightly it was a little tighter then i thought, took it for a spin down the road and it's back to one side, no going to lie really starting to piss me off.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• MonsterL35YFP
      By MonsterL35YFP
      I'm after a towing eye, for a mk2f mine never came with one when I brought it.
    • steveo3002
      By steveo3002
      ive started a swap ..mk2 polo to 3f mpi injection etc

the 2 yellow wires for the diagnostics ...the diagram i have shows it going to the interior loom white wire which is heater speed 1 ?  doesnt sound right to disable the heater 

has anyone go a working diagnostic socket on a mk2 swap ...i need pics /help 
    • kizerfluid
      By kizerfluid
      Hey guys so the engine swap to the 1.6 AEE engine has gone on hold as my girlfriend can't afford the insurance price with that engine swap done so we are looking to get a little more power out of the little 1.0 AAU now i have some parts kicking about from my old MK2F which was a 1.3 AAV but i changed engine for 3F.

Parts i have laying arround are:
      1.3 AAV ECU
      1.3 AAV Wiring loom
      1.3 AAV Air Doughnut
      1.3 AAV 5spd Gearbox

1.4 ABD SPI Throttle body
      1.4 ABD Induction elbow

(maybe a little overkill)
      1.8 ADZ SPI Throttle Body
      1.8 ADZ Induction Elbow
      1.8 ADZ Airbox & Filter
      (whole ADZ engine & wiring loom)

Im thinking maybe:
      1.3 AAV ECU
      1.4 ABD / 1.8 ADZ SPI throttle body
      1.8 ADZ Induction Elbow
      1.8 ADZ Airbox & Filter

Think that should give it a little more power under the pedal? got quite a bit like i said so if anyone else knows of a way to get a little more power out of the AAU with the parts i have listed above please let me know
    • Sam Quinn
      By Sam Quinn
      1993 mk2F polo,MOT Until december, 90000 MIles, fully resprayed 12 months ago windows out, lowered 60-40mm, 1992 Route OZ alloys that were fully stripped polished, painted and lacquered, low profile tyres, plenty of tread left, Full stainless steel DECAT exhaust straight through with a false back box, full clear indicators, new discs new pads new rear drums and shoes new rear brake lines, new air filters, new front wings with no side indicators drilled, rubber steering bushes, spare rear shocks, spare bumpers, spare parcel shelf, immaculate inside, upgraded speakers in the front, aftermarket kenwood stereo with AUX,  NON SMOKER from new, working sunroof and Desmos roof rack that has been fully restored and polished then lacquered with oak slats, "polo" mud flaps, new air filter, new ball joints, new track rod ends, new oil change done less than 2000 miles ago, , brilliant runner and good fun to drive and spare set of grey steel wheels unused recently refurbed and powder coated.  Deposit secures and payment transferred via bank transfer, 
    • polo86c
      By polo86c

hello,
      the mk2f polo is getting old and I am wondering what are the most common mechanical / electrical issues in your experience.
      for example if lots of alternators windings fail at the 100k miles mark, I would consider servicing or buying a replacement before
      getting stranded due to a common fault (also considering most spare parts are only available as aftermarket and  they are
      not so common anymore at scrapyards, at least in Italy)

In particular I am interested in mileage or age-when-failed of components not normally considered wear items but replaced
      on a as-needed basis such as:
      fuel pumps (lift and inline)
      throttle body assy (injector, potentiometer, step motor...)
      ECU
      spark plug HT cables
      wheel bearings
      gearbox bearings

etc

at what mileage are those usually replaced? do they give any sign before giving up?
      here is what I found in my experience:
      - alternator and starter motor  brushes needed to be replaced at 60k miles
      - lambda probe gave up at 100k miles, catalyzer went before that
      - had to tighten all sump bolts at 100k miles because started leaking oil, the most inaccessible ones (need to remove
          exhaust) were just hand tight
      - plastic 'ball' under gearlever mechanism crushed (hard to shift gears) at 90k miles
      - gearbox shaft oil seal started leaking at 100k miles

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.