Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joel Thomas

Advice about buying a mk2

Guest Joel Thomas

I'm  looking at getting a mk2 polo. Looking to spend around £1000 so it'll probably be a breadvan as I've seen a few of them on Ebay for cheap. Is there anything I should look out for, common problems, rust areas etc? Thanks

steveo3002

check it starts from cold and idles properly..try it again once warm to check it hot starts

rust almost anywhere at that age , most common is battery tray , arches , sills and rear inner arches , check it hasnt been recently undersealed to hide problems

head gasket can leak oil in the corner above the alternator ..lots of them do this and it isnt a huge problem until its dripping on the floor 

plenty more can go wrong but its mostly cheap and easy to fix ...rust is the biggest issue 

Joel Thomas

Alright, thanks. I'm really going to check thoroughly for rust, I made the mistake of not looking properly with my Mk2 Golf.

steveo3002

also look up the mot history online see if theres any mention of rust on the old mots

Joel Thomas

That's a good idea

kiran_182

Idealy go for a mk2f so you get the efi instead of carb. You should be able to get a gt for 1000

dvderlm

If it it's MPI - but you could always fit bike carbs.

Yeti

As long as it's not bent or rusty, anything else is fairly easy to fix.

The main issue tends to be the previous owners and their repairs and improvements. 

• Like 1

steveo3002

common for idiots to try and fit random ebay wheels by hammering the rear arches , expensive to put right

if you do decide it needs new wheels pick carefully and choose something that fits 

• Like 1

MonsterL35YFP

If you wanted to go for a mk2f I'd go for something like a CL non-susroof model they are usually less messed with and cheeper, then you can put any engine in you want, 1.3 on bike carbs 1.4 16v, 1.6 16v 

kiran_182
4 hours ago, steveo3002 said:

common for idiots to try and fit random ebay wheels by hammering the rear arches , expensive to put right

if you do decide it needs new wheels pick carefully and choose something that fits 

Best advice youll get, be the first in club polo history to take it if you buy a breadvan

• Like 1

steveo3002

glass sunroof is a downside and often leak , hard to repair or buy parts for

kiran_182

Dont i know, had mine 10 years and its still not done. 

I did see one thread ( red saloon or coup resto?) That boiled the old seal and clamped it in place and used sealer underneath as it should and it worked though the whole frame had to come out the car to pull it off

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this