kazz900

Engine gone? :(

kazz900

Hey Everyone,

SO my polo 9n has taken some damage recently. I am teaching my younger sister to drive with it, when she downshifted from 4th into 1st at about 30 mph. Obviously car stalled instantly (it stalled very hard!), but then it would not start again for a few minutes.  Managed to start it again after a few tries but now it has a very very rough idle and jerks forward when moving constantly, wont accelerate properly and stalls very very easily. No fault codes at the present moment. 

Im thinking the knock on the engine when she stalled it killed one of the coils/spark plugs as a best case scenario, could my engine be more seriously damaged than this?

Edited by kazz900

dvderlm

So it hit 7000rpm for a short moment. Is this the 1.2 three cylinder?

Coil or spark plug would surely give a misfire code like p0303.

If you disconnect each sparkplug, run, then reconnect and move to next you might be able to identify a single cylinder with a fault from engine noise or fault codes. I assume you can erase as well as read codes.

Compression test?

Edited by dvderlm

kazz900
1 hour ago, dvderlm said:

So it hit 7000rpm for a short moment. Is this the 1.2 three cylinder?

Coil or spark plug would surely give a misfire code like p0303.

If you disconnect each sparkplug, run, then reconnect and move to next you might be able to identify a single cylinder with a fault from engine noise or fault codes. I assume you can erase as well as read codes.

Compression test?

Yep, maybe not 7000rpm but very high. 

I got a misfire code on cylinder two (16687/P0302) and camshaft position sensor implausible signal (16725/P0341), but I cleared those codes and drove a bit then rechecked and they did not come back, so i assumed they were unrelated to the problem, but I could be wrong.

have not done a compression test yet, the equipment is something I dont have yet

also yep its the 1.2 12v three cylinder

Edited by kazz900
added info

kazz900

okay so those two fault codes are back now;

16686 (P0302) Cylinder two misfire detected 

16726 (P0342) Camshaft position sensor (G40): Signal too low 

Could the stalling have ruined my timing?

nige8021

That engine is known to have timing chain issues where they can jump a tooth or two, but I would of expected it to of thrown up misfires on all cylinders not just #2

So I would start with a compression test but as you don't yet have the kit, try swapping the #2 injector to one of the other cylinders and see if the misfire either stays on #2 or goes to the new position, if it stays on #2  try swapping the #2 coil pack to another position and again see if the fault follows the coil pack if it doesn't then you really need to get the compression tested 

dvderlm

Do not waste your money on a Silverline compression tester. They are shite. Draper are ok.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.