AaronCavanagh

Loss of power & smoke (9n3 GTI)

AaronCavanagh

driving the other day and suddenly I lossed all power, 'EPC' light lit up on the dashboard and exhaust was smoking (White)  pretty badly. Turned the car off, 30 seconds later turned the car on and it was running fine? No light on the dash, no smoke, no power loss, so just continued on.

Wasn't hammering it or anything, was just normal driving when this was happening.

Car is stage 2 so has a lot of different mods.

any ideas what it could be?

kiran_182

Loss of power and white smoke suggest head gasket 

Edited by kiran_182
  • Like 1

AaronCavanagh
1 minute ago, kiran_182 said:

Loss of power and white smoke suggest head gasket 

Its only happened once and has ran fine since, No white mist at the oil cap/bubbling of water/overheating. could it still mean head gasket? driven it probably 100 miles since its happened

kiran_182

Whats been done to the engine, i think white smoke is water in the combustion blue is oil although it could oil getting in

What spec is it, is it turbo?

AaronCavanagh
2 minutes ago, kiran_182 said:

Whats been done to the engine, i think white smoke is water in the combustion blue is oil although it could oil getting in

What spec is it, is it turbo?

1.8T, 240 bhp stage 2. It’s got a long list of exact mods but can post them if you wish. I think it’s still standard turbo

kiran_182

Its possible that the turbo seals are leaking and letting oil in. Check your oil level, get it bang on max and keep an eye on it 

caretakerplus

White smoke is caused by water in the combustion chamber(s) - BUT not necessarily COOLANT - is it possible that you drove through water that was drawn up into the air intake to the engine? If so, that might explain why you no longer have a problem.

Regards

AaronCavanagh
1 minute ago, caretakerplus said:

White smoke is caused by water in the combustion chamber(s) - BUT not necessarily COOLANT - is it possible that you drove through water that was drawn up into the air intake to the engine? If so, that might explain why you no longer have a problem.

Regards

Possibly, I cant really remember before it, It was a smoking hot day, so unless i came across a puddle beforehand from someone washing their car or something im not sure, it happened just as i came off the roundabout joining onto the dual carriageway, so im really not too sure.

Really appreciate the help though! Ill keep updated as to if it happens again at all, Could it be anything other than water? I was looking in the rear view so it may have been grey smoke

caretakerplus

In general, white exhaust smoke is caused by water, black smoke by too much fuel (or too little air) and blue smoke is normally due to the engine burning oil, although using fuel additives may cause something similar.

Grey smoke is probably the same thing as white smoke.

Whatever caused your problem, it sounds very much to me as if it was a 'one-off' - you say that it has been OK ever since, so I would suggest that you simply keep an eye on it in the future and don't tare the engine apart looking for a problem that may well not be there anyway.

Regards

• Like 1