Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

6N2 Petrol to Diesel conversion.

Hi, I am new here and was wondering if anyone has fitted the 1.4 tdi engine to a petrol car. 

I was wondering about how much wiring differences there is for the diesel glowplugs, relay, etc. And if all that comes through with the engine loom and hopefully into a standard wiring set up in the car which caters for all 6N2s or are they fuel specific main car interior looms?

Both cars are "S" model 5 doors, I was thinking to change fuel tank, filler hose and even lines, etc. I think I have to probably change the subframes too.

Basically what I am asking is has anyone done this before, and do i have to strip both cars down to near enough bare shells to complete this?

I already own both cars, and know it would be cheaper to buy another 6n2 tdi, and I have spoken to DVLA who assured me the completed car will be 30pa road tax if i get it emission tested and it is still the same as in original tdi.

Many thanks for any advice  that saves me bareshelling the pair of them needlessly lol

Andy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uggi

• nige8021

• Elijah

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

kiran_182

You'd need to carry accross the whole engine bay and fuel system 

Also posdibly shock and springs as it will be heavier than the petrol

Edited by kiran_182

Ah, cheers. New suspension on the tdi, and brakes,(the bigger ones with rear discs) they will be swapped over. I am hoping the interior looms are the same though. If not I will just have to completely strip out the interiors. Do you know if the subframes are interchangeable ? Likely wont be as the tdi one is nearly junk, and the petrols one is as new.

I was hoping to keep the petrol ones keys and ignition and just get the immobiliser and egr writter out along with an economy map. Dont know if it will work, but if not I still have all the bits to change over.

nige8021

The subframes are showing as different part numbers, the Diesel wiring loom will plug into the interior loom but you might need to change things like the fuel pump/level sender plug and check the wiring from the speedo cluster to the disconnect plugs by the relay panel for the likes of the glowplug warning light 

You would need to re-do the fuel lines as some of the TDi's had a cooler mounted under the car.

Have a look at this https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2001-240/  to get an idea on the different parts 

Ah excellent! Thanks for that. There is some pile o information on that. I can browse that in comfort before i go anywhere near it.  The wife loves her polo as much as I loved mine, but unless things go seriously wrong, its a must do for me, I must try to limit the time it takes though lol

Elijah

I take it that the Tdi is not roadworthy.  

Personally it it would be cheaper to flog both and start again.

ive seen a few conversions from petrol to diesel but these tend to be expensive conversions.

nige8021

As soon as Mr MSoft has finished updating my laptop I can check on the wiring diagrams 

nige8021

Regarding the immob if you swap the immob box from one to the other you will only then need to swap the chip in the key fob to maintain the link and won't need to have it deleted from the ECU

37 minutes ago, Elijah said:

I take it that the Tdi is not roadworthy.  

Personally it it would be cheaper to flog both and start again.

ive seen a few conversions from petrol to diesel but these tend to be expensive conversions.

Hi, the tdi is not roadworthy no. I acknowledged that I knew it would easier and cheaper to sell both and buy one. I own both complete cars, so im not sure where expense comes from? I have also owned and ran both cars for long, and know how much I will be saving in fuel and road tax per year and how much more oomph the tdi has, hence the fact it MUST happen. lol

40 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

Regarding the immob if you swap the immob box from one to the other you will only then need to swap the chip in the key fob to maintain the link and won't need to have it deleted from the ECU

Ah excellent cheers for that, that was exactly the type of thing I was hoping for!  I have run wee Volkswagens for years as my daily drivers but not done anything like this on them. My other cars are an old bugeye wrx and a 75 Chevette. Both slowly breaking my heart lol

Im not haha, I know that there will be seized nuts and bolts and brittle with age things to contend with. But i always get there eventually.  I will need to see the difference in subframes before I start to see if I can make a hybrid bottom mount out of the 2 types,  or make something else, would love to keep the  same subframe in the car. If not I will have to have a good one sitting before I start, along with anything else i need new. 

My only main concern is time as its the Polo my missus runs as her daily and postage costs and time to the Orkney Isles! 

Last night I bought a 3rd 6N2 a 2000 X plate  1.4 16V SE,  with the open air sunroof.  So this might complicate matters as the wifes car might get a 16V motor and I will convert the open air to diesel lol so, exact same conversion but on a different car with none of the time constraints.

caretakerplus

Don't forget the legal bit, or you could find yourself uninsured.

Regards

Hi, yeah I spoke to DVLA about it, they seem happy enough and told me that I would have to go through the proper channels of changing the car details on the V5 ie fuel type, new cc, and engine number etc,(easy enough as both cars are on the database in my name, and donor car has original engine. And since i was doing it myself i wouldnt need receipts or a letter from a garage on headed paper, etc) and that even though the finished car was from just before the emission based tax bands, that the finished car would need to be emission tested, and would be taxed at the later 30pa band if it passes,  as it is based on the doner engine! She said that the car "might" need to be inspected?  Fair enough I thought

16 hours ago, caretakerplus said:

Don't forget the legal bit, or you could find yourself uninsured.

Regards

Does the car insurance also need to be covered ?

caretakerplus

As Uggi says, he is aware of changing V5 details, but to answer your question, yes - the insurance company would need to be notified, but that would most likely be simply to change the details on the insurance - probably won't change the premium, although there could be an administrative cost.

Should the DVLA or the insurance company have not been informed, it could affect any future insurance claim.

Regards

Its a good point, insurance companies have on the documents to inform them of any changes,  so I might be better swapping the insurance over to another car whilst i swap everything and wait for the updated V5 to be made, then swap it back, so when I give them the numberplate, it will just come up as a 1.4 tdi on the database, it would save a bit of explaining and the possibility of things going pear shaped.

Costs me 16 pound in admin fees to swap vehicles, not including the difference in premium costs. It was barely 100 quid to change from the tdi to a Subaru wrx amonth or so ago.