Sign in to follow this  
damunk

painting over paint? engine bay respray

damunk

engine bay respray with rattle cans

do you have to take every bit of the paint off and get it down to bare metal?

because an orbital sander would be hard work to take the paint off.

i think of only using a wire wheel with a drill but seems drastic .

steveo3002

no , the factory paint will be way more protection so dont strip it off unless peeling /flaking

use a red scotch pad to scrub at the old paint to provide a key , you need to work at it until its all dull paying extra attention to corners and creases and anywhere that see's more wear ..the pads can be used with warm soapy water or panel wipe 

damunk

yeah ive just bought some red scotch pads and an etch primer for the rust parts.

one question steve, there are parts where the paint has peeled because of rust. do i sand this part down, use a filler to get it level with the factory paint, then sand it like you said to key it in then spray etch primer on the whole thing.  before putting on the main coats.

steveo3002

yeah sand it until its clean metal , try and get any pits clean with a dremel /wire wheel , go through the grades of paper and make sure its finished with 180 or 240 , just etch the bare metal , no need to etch the sound original paint 

and yes if its pitted badly then use filler ..but as i said preferably over 100% clean metal  or the rust will be back ...bilt hamber deox gel works well if you use enough 

damunk

any harm in etch priming the whole thing grey including factory paint?  I just thought it would be a easier way to check for any defects when shining a light on it all.

making sure it's all smooth looking

steveo3002

i guess not , its fast drying anyway so i doubt it will help you , its meant for bare metal

the way a painter checks the surface is to wipe it down with panel wipe and catch the surface in the light at the right angle , shows up any defects 

you could also go over it with this just before painting ..helps the paint bond 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UPol-Grip-4-1K-Universal-Adhesion-Promoter-450ml-Aerosol-Can-clear-GRIP-AL/323234033081?epid=547503408&hash=item4b423fedb9:g:Nr0AAOSw4J5a57B9

• Like 1

damunk

damunk

you know that bilt hamber gel you use. 

1)do you still need to sand any rust off if your going to use that gel? from youtube vids seem you just apply it and it takes away the rust to bare metal

2) also is a must to shrinkwrap any part you have applied it too?

steveo3002

yeah clean it up first otherwise it would take more gel

put a thick layer on and cover it , once its turned black its used up , rinse it off and do it again until theres no rust pits , will take several goes over a few days to clean it up well

damunk

seems like you can't get it from local shops. looks like an ebay job :( will have to wit till next week now

seen this from tool station https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painting+%26+Decorating/d150/Metal+Paints+%26+Primers/sd3152/Rustins+Rust+Remover/p20340

Edited by damunk

Buxton

I did mine, looked really good i just thourally cleaned and degreased it, scotch pads are great as said, get some good quality clear on top, cheap stuff fades after a while.