Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

9N Polo Steering Pump

Tony2002polo

Hi, I've got the amber steering warning light and intermittent power steering so I opted to change the pump but could only get an a2 pump. Having fitted this pump the power steering appears to be working OK but the warning light is still lit. Could it be that the ECU detects that the pump was originally on an Audi and flag it as an error / fault? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony2002polo

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

nige8021

There was two different makes of power steering KOYO & TRW fitted and not interchangable, the KOYO pump became obsolete you had to fit an an adapter kit to run with a TRW pump unit.

Have you had the fault codes read ? as this might give a clue as to what's going on and should then be able to erase any codes and that will erase the warning light 

Tony2002polo

Hi Nige, Thanks for the response. Its a TRW pump. I had the codes read at a garage and they said "its the pump". So I bought and fitted the Audi A2 pump (there were no Polo pumps at my local scrapper). The pump is working OK but the amber light is still on. I thought 'amber light' faults would  reset after the ignition is switched off and only reappear if the fault was still present when the ignition is turned on again which is why I asked if the pumps are interchangeable between Audi & VW or would fitting the Audi one flag as an amber light fault. The other possible cause which I'm exploring is that it might be the Angle sensor causing the light. any thoughts gratefully received ;-)

nige8021

Have you had it scanned for codes since fitting the pump ? as there is no "Coding" of the pump unit required according the dealer manuals.

Some fault codes are overwritten after so many power cycles, so you might find the warning light magically goes out in a few days, but the steering angle sensors are a common problem across the VAG range, but get it rescanned preferably with VCDS and see what that's showing and take the fault finding from there.