Sign in to follow this  
spaces96

51 Polo 6n2 variety of things wrong with it, help would be appreciated.

spaces96

Hello guys,

First of all I am new to this forum and I am glad to be apart of it, little back story, I bought a polo 6n2 1.0 MPI as my first car, I'm wanting to fix it up and make it run for a whole lot longer. I love all VW cars and he sold me it for £350, I thought was an absolute steal, until I actually paid for it and took it to my mechanic friend for a look over. The clutch is pretty much shot, so I am replacing that next week, for £170 total, but as I drove the car in the rain it started to misfire badly and ended up stalling constantly at a roundabout in first, no biggy, I knew the issue right then and there the spark leads haven't been changed in 91,000 miles and where torn and cracked, so I replaced all of the leads, plugs, air filters and oil filter, but there's always been this noise coming from the air filter box housing unit or close to it's rather random and and this video I will show, shows that the noise is the same intervals and timing but it isn't sometimes it can last for 5 seconds all the way up to a minute and only starts to happen once the car has heated up and my mechanic can't understand what the noise is, also when you put your foot down the engine has a raspy sound to it, not a normal sound, I'm hoping this is the clutch but I am doubting that it is.

Another thing is the car in low gears is so much harder to handle, when you take your foot off the accel it jerks like hell, in small car parks it makes it a nightmare.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Here is the video:

caretakerplus

Welcome to the Forum.

It is always difficult to be sure what a noise is when you haven't actually got your head under the bonnet.

However, that noise to me sounds very much like the pressure relief valve in the coolant cap lifting, due to excessive pressure in the cooling system.

A simple check for this is, when the engine is cold, remove the coolant filler cap, start the engine and allow it to warm up.

If the noise is no longer there, it was probably caused by the said relief valve. You might find that coolant is thrown out whilst running it without the cap.

When the valve does lift like that, it is generally a sign that compression pressure is leaking into the cooling system, possibly via a faulty cylinder head gasket.

Don't get too despondent about that - it is after all, only a suggestion of what the sound may be, it could be something else entirely.

Regards

mickypolo

As far as having a rasping sound coming from the Engine i would get the exhaust checked over,could blowing somewhere,