Engine oil 1.2 3 cylinder 2003 vw polo

Defective

So after doing a 180 mile trip last Sunday, I didn't check my oil, I checked it this evening and there was no oil what so ever on the dipstick. Now I topped the oil up about 3 to 4 weeks ago as I saw it was low and carried on driving etc, untill I checked it today. I Do not see any kind of leak, and there is no smoke. I have put more oil back in but only just halfway on the min and max. And I also out cardboard under the car for tonight. As I have work at 6am.

Any idea as to where my oil went? Or is it normal for a vw polo to go through that much oil on just 180 mile trip? 

Edited by Defective

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Defective

• caretakerplus

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you have been driving at exceptionally high speed, you shouldn't have used that amount of oil.

There are only two ways out of the engine for that oil, one is for it to leak, the other is for it to get past the pistons and/or valve stems and be burned in the engine, producing BLUE smoke.

However, there is a third possibility - oil could have been passed from the crankcase ventilation pipe into the air cleaner - but eventually, that also would finish up being burned in the engine.

What is the viscosity of the oil that you are using? If the engine has a fair amount of wear in it, it might be better to use an oil with a higher viscosity.

Suggest that you remove the top of the air cleaner and see if there are any large amounts of oil in there.

If you are followed by a cloud of blue smoke whilst pulling hard, oil is getting past the pistons.

If you get blue smoke in the exhaust after long (ish) periods of idling (waiting at traffic lights, may be) then oil is likely getting past the valve stem seals.

Regards

I believe it maybe the sump leaking. Not 100% though. As there is apparently wet oil on the tray under the car, although I don't have the time to check it in till either Saturday or Sunday. But Saturday it's going up on a ramp.