Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Side entry disributor

PHIL SWARBRICK

After a  long time searching on line, I can't find a side entry distributor cap for a mk2 polo. I'm sure in the past I have seen such a thing. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where I could get one? To answer a question from a previous post. Yes I will be running an oil cooler. At the moment  I'm looking at mounting it in the nearside wing possibly with a fan on it but it depends on the room available. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PHIL SWARBRICK

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

• caretakerplus

saab 9-3 or Peugeot 205 are Bosch side entry caps. Don't know if the rotor arm is same depth. 

caretakerplus

I'd be a bit concerned if the leads finished up pointing vertically upwards, as there is a possibility of water entry.

Regards

Never understood why the Polo mk2 coil is mounted vertically near front of engine bay, but for the mk2 Golf of same period is fitted horizontal at the back.

I've had a corroded centre king lead socket  in 2 coils that I'm sure is moisture getting in past the king lead's rubber boot. I used Holt's Autoplast Damp Start for about 2 years, 

but it crinkles and cracks. so switched to Vaseline

Not as though the coil is oil-filled as far as I know, or it would  drip out of the Golf.

steveo3002

bit of longer wiring and the coil could sit under the scuttle panel

never had a problem myself ...rather the rubber boot deflect it than upside down it would collect in the top of the coil , i smear a bit dielectric grease on the wire ends

caretakerplus

Many years ago, I also tried the Holts Damp Start - it is OK until it crinkles, then holds the moisture again - so you spray more of it on, resulting in even deeper crinkles = more moisture retention.

I have found that silicone furniture polish works fine, and doesn't hold the dirt and dust either

Regards

PHIL SWARBRICK

I have the Saab 9-3 distributor cap which fits and it appears the rotor arm is correct but it is a socket type connection but not a pin type so is there an adapter from one to the the other? Admittedly this is a temporary set up to get the engine going and until I get the wasted spark set up.

PHIL SWARBRICK

When the Saab 9-3 distributor cap goes on, all the terminals point backwards towards the fire wall.

15 hours ago, PHIL SWARBRICK said:

I have the Saab 9-3 distributor cap which fits and it appears the rotor arm is correct but it is a socket type connection but not a pin type so is there an adapter from one to the the other? Admittedly this is a temporary set up to get the engine going and until I get the wasted spark set up.

My aftermarket ignition cables fit pin and none-pin sockets, with no adapter. Maybe there are universal cable  ends.

PHIL SWARBRICK

I will keep looking because I don’t want to mess up leads that I had made especially. This is all temporary to get the engine running and for the future wasted spark set up.