MonsterL35YFP

TURBO!!!!!! Pssssshhhhhh

MonsterL35YFP

Hello Polo people what engines have people seen turboed, I know loads of people do the g40/PY turbo, iv seen AAV turbos and some GTs, even a 1L turbo but have people done 1.4 AFH turbo or 1.6 16v AVY turbo? Just general discussion about what can be done really feel like making something stupid in the future. 

dvderlm

tommo did an ABD by turning down pistons. Went over 200bhp on rolling road.

Forged pistons are silly money.

I've had a decompression plate on my ebay wish list for about 5 years now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G40-Decompression-Plate-Polo-Golf-Jetta-G40-0-9-1-3L-Turbo-Compressor-NEW-PY/260558728818

Dont know whether the AFH or AVY have similar support.

Gearbox strength of 084 or 085 is a worry for big power.

Probably needs a diff.

Some adaptors for other gearboxes are appearing (cable change 02J ?)

New gearbox justifies custom driveshafts.

Bigger brakes to match.

Larger and wider wheels, new arches.

If it is for road use insurance is likely to be 4 figures. 

MonsterL35YFP

Cheers for the info mate I was thinking an ABD turbo with like a GT cam my makes got a couple of engines Laying about, I thought about getting the pistons milled down or maybe a decomp plate with a K03s turbo 

dvderlm

Carbs or injection?

Either way. You'll need to manage fuelling and retard ignition under boost.

If carbs Aldon Amethyst unit appears good, boost/vacuum driven or the TPS model. I'm using one without boost.

If injection nodiz or EFIgnition look good.  

MonsterL35YFP

Actually yeah probably best to get a turbo cam from somewhere 

dvderlm

Dbilas do a Turbo one for all Ea111 engines which includes ABD using the hydro lifters

dbilas PART Nr: 23.141.011

duration in/outl: 256°/276         

lobe separation : 112°

Valvelift: 9,5mm/10,6mm                

at TDC: 0,7mm/1,3mm             

Timing: 16/60 - 70-26                       

Profile: asymmetric 

kwijibo_coupe

With the correct work anything can be turbocharged. But it depends what you want to achieve. 

If you just want to do something for the sake of doing something, then sticking a turbo on something like an AFH using Megasquirt or similar management could be a fun project. However there are rumours that the AFH rods are made of chocolate so it may not last long. 

With your ABD suggestion above you wouldn't need to get the pistons machined or use a decompression plate. They are only 9.5:1 as standard which is plenty low enough for boost, but high enough to make it a nice drive off boost too. They have been known to take 21psi on standard internals which is the maximum a KO3 will give anyway. 

I personally used a standard PY engine with a T25 turbo on standard G40 management. On about 10psi it is a lovely car to drive on the road, decent power delivery and perfectly reliable. I have had it screwed up to 15/16psi which is fun, but traction issues get boring after a while. 

PHIL SWARBRICK

I have a MN 1.3 diesel block bored out to max and stroked with a 1.4 forged diesel crank giving <1.5 litre turbo fuel injected with an ordinary 1.0 litre petrol head. My philosophy is that plenty of boost will overcome any restriction caused by valves and cams so other than lapping the valves and skimming the head to more sure it's flat, the top end is as stock as it can be. The diesel blocks have 12mm instead of 11mm bolts and I have used studs there instead so I'm hoping that will do well with boost even at a 8.5:1 compression ratio. I have a decompression plate if I need it. Methanol water injection will come in under boost. Eventually I will run sequential injection and fully programmable wasted spark ignition. Everything will be run by Megasquirt 3/3x. I don't have a boost or BHP target but I will be aiming for the best tune on the rolling road with two maps; one being calm and easy driving and the other mental and a handful.

kiran_182

Why not use an aav head as the valves are bigger than the aau

Be interesting to see what the td build puts out, quite a mix bag of parts

Edited by kiran_182

MonsterL35YFP

Iv got an AAV in mine at the moment so I reckon AAV with a ABD turbo I don't want to have to spend to much money on parts or getting bits machined unless it makes a good amount of power and doesn't implode

Rich-Index96
On 15/09/2018 at 10:59, dvderlm said:

Do the AVY's have the same fitment as an AFH? 🤔 I've never heard anyone say they don't line up the same when doing hybrid engines! So that's what makes me think they're the same pattern like. 

Any input is appreciated! Got abit of a engine build planned but wanna get all parts situated first so there's no reason no to build it, if that makes sense 😂

PHIL SWARBRICK

I don't know these engines so I can only speak for the 8V engine in a Mk2 that I have built. It has run with an ordinary head gasket and has 8.5:1 compression ratio which I think is too much for my application. I have a decompression plate which I am going to install. It is a plain and has no seals on it . The block and head have been skimmed so hopefully sealing won't be an issue although I will put some gasket sealant around the oil feed hole. The decompression plate moves the head away from the block and makes it harder to get the cam belt installed and reduces the amount of adjustment you have on it.