Sign in to follow this  
feeblington

A trend in 6n2 batt/alternator problems?

feeblington

Hello everyone. Ill double this post as my greet as neither seemed long enough for seperate posts.

Im felix. Always enjoy a good forum and ive always loved vws but nwver had one. Just got my first 6n2.

And within 48 hours i breakdown.

Had engine management light. And around 2 hours later battery light.(to which i started to head home around 13miles and brokedown after 10 miles) and just prior to it dieing had the ecm. Abs. Temp. Airbags and oil pressure lights come on. Car then died and would just click and not start.

I think ive traced it to either alternator or the alternator to battery lead.

Id really appreciate input/advice as im self taught and may be going wrong!

Also if anyone knows anyone in cardiff who comes out with a fancy vag laptop to diagnose please holla!

Nice to meet you all and thanks

🙂

dvderlm

Welcome to the forum. I hope the car waa a bargain and you'll have many happy hours of motoring, eventually.

Any OBDii fault code reader should let you find out what the engine light was about. Did it flash, go out?

Were you driving with headlights on and did they go dim, or was it sudden fail? 

What's battery voltage measure at?

and with engine running?

I'd hope for 13.8v.

That alternator cable is kind of vital.

The voltage regulator in the alternator too.

And all earth straps.

nige8021

Here's a guide to fault finding the alternator https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/335902-testing-your-alternator/

The wires going to the alternator are prone to corrosion & cracking, also the fusebox on top of the battery, where the main feed bolts onto the fuses they are also known to overheat and fail, also the flat metal fuses are known to get hairline fractures in them so causing excessive current flow and overheating, you need to remove them from the holder and closely inspect them as they often look OK while bolted in place.

feeblington

Hey. Cheers for quick reply guys!

I have got my multimeter out and followed the guide (except diode checking as my MM does do amps!)

The voltage on battery hovers around 12.5. running or not. Lights dim hugely when i started it...ive checked fuses on battery which are all fine and also checked belt which is also fine. 

I havnt had a chance to follow the power cable to the alt yet as the rain is awful atm.

The batt light didnt flash just came on solid.

Headlights where off and no stereo running. Just blower on 1 to keep window clear lol.

I was thinking of going to A1 diagnosis garage near me. as i got quoted around 200 for a plug in diag and replacement alternator if needed inc labor.

Which im guessing it is the alt or cable after the thread i went through.

What you reckon?

nige8021

£200 isn't a bad price as the cheapest alternator from GSF is around £300 after you return your unit, but I'm sure you'd find a good used one on eBay for a lot less and changing it is a simple job.

Have a look on our member map https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/membermap/  there might be someone local to you with VCDS/Vagcom who would read/clear your fault codes and maybe give you a hand swopping the alternator if your not confident in doing it yourself  

feeblington

Hey. Checked member map. Seems your the only guy listed under vcds 😛 . I just dropped it off at A1 there gna do there bits and ring me back eith a quote but he said he doubts itll be over 200 ehich should be nice.

Thanks again tho ill no doubt be posting pics when i get it back. Ill also post my results incase anyone else can find use of them

steveo3002

have a google /ask around if theres any local starter/alternator rebuild shops , most towns have a little place that repairs stuff like for a fraction of the price of a new one 

would most likley diagnose it for you too