Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

More problems with engine management light

Hello again. After having the alternator sorted (and fault codes that confirmed it cleared) i drive 30 miles and get flashing check light..which i noticed the engibe sounded a bit blowy and was down on power. So i pulled over pushed all ht and spark leads in and car then ran fine the 10miles home. Engine light has stopped flashing and is solid. No other lights or funny business though. 

Has anyone had this and could shed some light before i fork out again!!

Cheers

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• feeblington

• dvderlm

• steveo3002

• nige8021

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello. Just to answer a few things. Dont worry i wouldnt pull from the cable..only the boot. 🙂 ive just had the cover off swapped the leads and it seems alot better. No unspent fuel smell. Ill up

Flashing engine light usually means misfires, which would be consistent with high voltage flashover.

You can sometimes see the aura of discharge looking under bonnet at night.

Beru recommend sparkplug connectors are fitted with dielectric grease.

http://www.beruparts.co.uk/content/dam/marketing/emea/beru/brochure/en-all-about-ignition-coils.pdf

I've not done that but my car's electronic ignition produces under 30kV not 45kV of modern cars.  

You guys are awesome.....i also assumed misfire and when i pushed the spark plug leads and ht lead in 2 of the spark leads did a very slight click. And then no misfires and no engine light....however i noticed it started misfiring again with no light. Pulled over did the same and voila. Is this a problem with the leads or plugs?

Usually the lead connectors, as the plugs are fixed in the block.

You might be able to clean any corrosion, but new leads are a sensible purchase and can be replaced without any tools.

How good is the service history? It may be that the other ignition related service parts are past due for replacement: spark plugs, rotor arm and distributor cap.

Service history is good. Logbook and wad of receipts. Cars clean as hell aswell.

Im gna get some contaxt cleaner and new ht leads. Hopefully its not todo with thr distribtor.

Im still bit clueless but learning!

nige8021

There is no distributor on a 6N2 it's a coil pack, but they can suffer with poor contact between the ignition amplifier on the top of the actual coil unit

caretakerplus

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding about the actual model that you have - Could you clarify that for future posts, it would help prevent us giving you the wrong information.

If you do change the plug leads, I would suggest that you change them one-at-a-time in order to prevent any mix up.

Regards

Hey. Sorry

Its a 2001 6n2 1.4 16v se

Ive pulled out ht leads to find one full of rust and another the lead actually came clean out of the spark plug boot. Gunna swap them when i get a moment in the rain.

How do i chsnge these. Looks like i have to remove the plastic engine cover thing.?

Edit.

Ive contact cleaned them before i swap the leads. Still smells of fuel by exhaust and running tad wierd

Edited by feeblington

Oh sorry my mistake saying no tools. Like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Those 4 bolts should undo. looks like M6 Allen key. No  - inner multipoint (Torx T25 or T30?) Part 30 on here only 16mm long, watch out they don't fall down in engine bay as you unscrew.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2001-240/1/103-103040/

Edited by dvderlm
18 minutes ago, feeblington said:

Hey. Sorry

Its a 2001 6n2 1.4 16v se

Ive pulled out ht leads to find one full of rust and another the lead actually came clean out of the spark plug boot.

Only pull the boot, not the cable if you can avoid it.

Hello. Just to answer a few things. Dont worry i wouldnt pull from the cable..only the boot. 🙂

ive just had the cover off swapped the leads and it seems alot better. No unspent fuel smell. Ill update after ive drivin it but idle sounds tons better.

i dont know where id be without you peeps.

huge shoutout 🙂

Edit.

Dvderlm. Yes exactly like that 🙂

Edited by feeblington
  • Like 1