Jump to content
king464

6N2 Lambda Oxygen Sensor keeps failing

Recommended Posts

king464

Hey guys and girls!

 

First post here but I’ve been looking through these forums for a couple months now and they’ve been so useful! Absolutely love my Polo 6N2, my first car and I couldn’t be happier!

 

But I do have one reoccurring problem which is really starting to annoy me. I keep getting a check engine light come on, and after scanning the ECU I get the following code:

 

P0134 - O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

 

Got my local mechanic to replace the lambda sensor. Car worked perfect for a couple weeks until I got another P0134. He said that the part was faulty (its a genuine Bosch part cost me £130) and he replaced it. Now a couple months later I’m getting the P0134 error again and the lambda sensor is not working (poor economy, poor performance). 

 

I thought originally it could be wiring related but since the new sensor worked for a couple months I thought it must be the sensor. I don’t know what to do and I doubt my mechanic is going to replace the part again (he always wants the car in for ‘diagnostics’ and basically hates my pride and joy). 

 

Side note: recently under hard acceleration every now and again cylinder 3 will misfire (assume I need to fit new spark plugs in). Could this in anyway cause the lambda to fail?

 

Really annoying that the car is currently slower than usual and burning a lot more fuel (passengers always complain of fuel smell)

 

Thank you so much for reading!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vwfan3

What is the mileage ?

Just noticed 'passengers complain'. First of all, find this petrol leak and get it fixed.

Edited by vwfan3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nige8021

First Welcome to the forum.

 

The connector block below the thermastat housing is a known problem area, the car side of the wiring corrodes through at rear of the connector

 

I had the same engine in my Ibiza and that suffered with valve seat problems on the #2 & 3 cylinders, so it might pay to get a compression test done, but it shouldn't cause the lambda to fail 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Elijah

I had the engine light come on my 6n2.  Garage changed the temperature sensor which was faulty and causing car to run rich and in turn clog up lambda sensor.

 

try this as that will be the problem.  I take my car to a Vw technician who specialises in Vw polos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king464
15 hours ago, vwfan3 said:

What is the mileage ?

Just noticed 'passengers complain'. First of all, find this petrol leak and get it fixed.

 

Mileage is 149k. Passengers complaining about the smell of fuel is due to the lambda sensor which has failed and is running rich. No actual 'leak' as such. 

 

15 hours ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the forum.

 

The connector block below the thermastat housing is a known problem area, the car side of the wiring corrodes through at rear of the connector

 

I had the same engine in my Ibiza and that suffered with valve seat problems on the #2 & 3 cylinders, so it might pay to get a compression test done, but it shouldn't cause the lambda to fail 

 

Thanks, I'll have to check the wiring again although I would have thought it was OK since the replacement sensors did work for a couple months. If they were corroded I would have thought that the replacement sensors wouldn't work at all. 

 

13 hours ago, Elijah said:

I had the engine light come on my 6n2.  Garage changed the temperature sensor which was faulty and causing car to run rich and in turn clog up lambda sensor.

 

try this as that will be the problem.  I take my car to a Vw technician who specialises in Vw polos.

 

This sounds like a good idea. Do you have any idea of the part number/location? And how much did it cost for you to get done by your mechanic 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
feeblington

I have same problem on same engine. 3rd cyl misfire and lambda.. poss just gunna go garage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king464
14 hours ago, feeblington said:

I have same problem on same engine. 3rd cyl misfire and lambda.. poss just gunna go garage!

 

Please let me know how this goes! I had another 3rd cyl misfire last night (flashing engine light this time)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
feeblington

Ooh love the flashing light....im taking mine in monday will let you know...also looking for decent garage too take it too! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
king464
On 17/11/2018 at 10:58, feeblington said:

Ooh love the flashing light....im taking mine in monday will let you know...also looking for decent garage too take it too! 

 

How did it go mate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
feeblington

Well. I turned out to be poorer than i thought and had to swerve it 😞 sadly just so happened to need brake pads and shocks all at the same time....gotta love sods law eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
feeblington

Slight update. Took out the precat lambda and gave it a wirewool clean. Then put some cataclean shiz through the tank. Erased the code off the car computer and have just done about 200 miles. Light hasnt come back on and fuel consumption is gone down 🙂

Also worth mentioning it hasnt misfired in last 2 weeks (before i did the clean) so maybe ive got lucky!!

Edited by feeblington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines