Sign in to follow this  
Mixman

Bought a Polo for my wife and daughter. Will look around for fixes.

Mixman

Hello. I've just purchased a 2002 VW Polo 1.2 for my wife to drive, she passed her test 11 month ago and not driven since, and to teach my daughter how to drive. It's got a few issues but was cheap and something that they can both not do too much damage to.

It's basic inside. The stereo seems to have been replaced by a single din unit with what appears to play out of one speaker under the dash somewhere. What was available in these? The fuel gauge doesn't seem to work. Not the electric adjusting mirrors. Seems to drive ok though. Will be looking for help and advice.

I drive a Zafira VXR myself so I'm going to use this also for pottering around as the Zafira is quite thirsty. 

Yeti

It's been a long time since I've been in one of those, but from memory, it sounds like it's got the standard radio that the lower spec cars had. The posher ones had a disc changer in the lower DIN slot where you'll probably have a cubby hole. If the head unit has a label on saying something like disc changer control, you can get an adapter that gives you a line in for hooking up your phone or an MP3 player.  

If you do put an aftermarket one in, you will need an antenna amplifer (cheap enough), and you might have to swap the yellow and red positive wires over as VW had a weird habit of putting them the other way round to everyone else. 

I think they still have the grills in the doors if you want to add some better speakers. If you're lucky, when you open it up, you'll find the wires there ready for you. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• Saint Jimi
      By Saint Jimi
      Hi all. I've bought my self a new car stereo and have decided to wire this one in properly with a proper ignition feed rather than bodging a constant 12v feed. Trouble is I don't have an obvious ignition on 12v feed. What's the easiest way to to go about plumbing one in. 

Also when climbing under the dash I've found two unused plug and socket (pictured) and don't know what they're for, any ideas? 

• ASPolo
      By ASPolo
      Here’s a weird one for you. 

Ive not had to adjust my wing mirrors for a while, but just used the adjuster to check if I was in the parking bay I was taking a stab at. Switched the knob to right mirror and moved it. Thought ‘that’s odd, I can hear movement the other side’.

Turns out if I switch the knob to the left mirror, it adjusts just the left mirror. If I switch it to the right, it adjusts both mirrors... obviously the workaround is adjust both with the right then get the left one correct with the left adjustment. 

A pain in the backside though, and ideally I’d like them both working as they should. Any ideas on this? 

Last time i adjusted them before this I’m certain they both worked independently. Also both seem to be a little lazy when adjusting now, not as smooth as before. At 120 a side on ECP id ideally like to avoid buying new mirrors! 

Its a 2002 9N polo, AWY engine code. Any advice gratefully appreciated as ever. Cheers! 
    • Weemick
      By Weemick
      Hi I have recently got a 2011 6r 1.4 match. I am looking to upgrade the stereo in it. Looking for Bluetooth, usb, aux, iPod control etc. Currently have one like in pic, has the glove box connection, steering wheel controls in left side of wheel and aux connection of cig lighter. I am aware of the Eonon units that are available but would rather get a original Vw unit if possible. Could anyone let me know of options I have.
      many thanks! 

• Dragon2
      By Dragon2
      Hi, after recently posting on here and getting some fantastic help I'm back to ask again.  I have 94 1.0 boulevard and it has manual mirror adjusters in the door panel. They don't work although I think the cables are still intact as occasionally there is tiny movement detectable. Is there a way to repair or improve the function?  I currently wind the window down and have to frequently move the mirror glass by hand.  I'm only a novice and not very experienced with cars so any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 
    • katemelita
      By katemelita
      Started my double-din centre console conversion the other day, it was remotely easy! Started simple by getting the cage into the center console, started by using a dremmel but it proved to be making the work harder so ended up using a stanley blade as you can tell the sizes are extremely different height and width wise, so, the mk2 Golf centre console will need trimming at the base

Follow: #ClubPoloUK

The Polo Social

Volkswagen Polo Owners Club

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines