feeblington

6n2 barely able to start. Help!

feeblington

Hello again. With clearly the most malody ridden polo!

So few days ago it wouldnt start managed to coax it to life after a good 10sec of starter motor and full gas it started coughing....slowly.

Then it has been fine since. Then yesterdsy  did it again but started alot easier.

Then today. Tosay it needed a push start and took us a good 45min to get it going.

Now i notice the thermostat seems to not be working on dash. And before all of this my 02 sensor is still needing replacement. Is any of this related or is my car just a lemon.

Thank you again!!!!!

feeblington

I should also mention. I went through a few large puddle on my way home. But car seemed fine no spluttering. And after the first breakdown i sprayed contact cleaner on a few bits

caretakerplus

First of all, if the car is anything like due for a FULL service, that alone may well sort out some of your problems.

Is the battery fully charged and is the alternator delivering a decent charge?

If the o2 sensor is 'down', then replacing that seems a sensible move.

When you say that, "The thermostat seems not to be working on the dash", I presume that you mean that the temperature gauge is not working?

If this is the case, there could be several reasons for this. It CAN be caused by a VERY low coolant level; It could be a faulty temperature gauge or its sender; It could also be the actual thermostat that is failing to close (it could even be that the thermostat has been removed for some reason.)

If the temperature gauge fails to move at all, it is probably due to the gauge, its sender or the wiring which is at fault.

If it does read, but fails to reach normal working temperature (about 90° C) it is most likely that the thermostat is permanently open.

It would definitely pay to have any fault codes read, rather than spend money replacing items that may well not need replacing, but do remember that items such as the thermostst won't throw up a fault code of its own, although it could well affect the running which probably would throw up a code.

Regards

feeblington

Thanks for your reply. 

The culprit was a coolant temp sensor in the end. 

Theres also an air leak somewhere throwing  up a lean code. And making the 02 sensor kick off. But at least the 02 sensor is good (only replaced 15k ago)

nige8021

Check the vacuum lines coming to/from the throttle body/inlet manifold 

AUDVacummpipes_zpsb1f32529.jpg  also the main vacuum pipe going to the brake servo is a known problem area 

feeblington

Mines an aua engine will it look similer to that pic..and im guessing thats directly below the airbox? Im ordering a new filter so when that turns up ill have it off and check them. 

Where is the brake servo?

Cheers

nige8021

That picture is from my old Ibiza with the AUD engine your's will look pretty much the same. Also that little valve (between the Red & Blue pipes) on mine was faulty, it was stuck "open" and it should only open at a certain amount of vacuum, it was quite cheap to replace.

The brake servo is the big "flying saucer" on the bulkhead drivers side