GatisGirdenis

MK2F ABU swap

GatisGirdenis

Hello,

So I'm swapping an ABU engine (1.6 from mk3 golf) in my polo and I came to the point where my starter from a 1.05 doesn't fit as the back of the block is flat on it, compared to the 1.6 which has rib-like bumps, for the crank I assume.

I'm using the stock 1.05 clutch and gearbox for the time being and I need some certain points to which starter I should look for?

Also any point outs for the throttle cable? As it seems to supposed to be swinging around from the front, instead from the back (the solid brackets are in different places)

This might've been covered, but I'm in a bigtime rush, so as far as I've looked, cannot seem to find any CERTAIN info on it.

Edited by GatisGirdenis

Barajas

I´m upgrading too mi polo 3f to abu, and i must change the starter, i have to put the ABU starter.

The front support engine is not the same, you must put some washers between the ABU block and the spare piece to fit the engine.

Sorry for my english, i hope that you understand me.

GatisGirdenis
25 minutes ago, Barajas said:

I´m upgrading too mi polo 3f to abu, and i must change the starter, i have to put the ABU starter.

The front support engine is not the same, you must put some washers between the ABU block and the spare piece to fit the engine.

Sorry for my english, i hope that you understand me.

Doesnt the MK3 Golf have a different gearbox and flywheel diameter? Hence it wouldn't really work? If it does fit and work, then that would be fairly easy to get for me, but I'm unsure

I think I might risk running a two bolt setup, my MK4 VR6 is held in with two bolts per side and they are at more of a disadvantage, haha

Barajas
On 16/12/2018 at 21:51, GatisGirdenis said:

Doesnt the MK3 Golf have a different gearbox and flywheel diameter? Hence it wouldn't really work? If it does fit and work, then that would be fairly easy to get for me, but I'm unsure

I think I might risk running a two bolt setup, my MK4 VR6 is held in with two bolts per side and they are at more of a disadvantage, haha 

You must put your flywheel and your gearbox. The original clutch of gt is 180mm, but i have change it from a g40 clutch 200mm.

GatisGirdenis
On 17/12/2018 at 23:56, Barajas said:

You must put your flywheel and your gearbox. The original clutch of gt is 180mm, but i have change it from a g40 clutch 200mm.

I ended up using the ABU starter and flywheel with the clutch. I could have used the smaller clutch but I figured that the bigger one MIGHT give out more life. Slightly sad that I had to use the heavier flywheel, but oh well.

Another question:

Anyone has an idea of what I can do for the air filter? I rotated the ABU SPI unit 180° so it would make my life easier (original fuel lines fit as well as the throttle cable), but now the filter is a slight issue. The big round original filter box goes very close to the firewall (about 1cm of clearance), and the original ABU neck goes the wrong way (because I rotated the SPI)

IMG_20181223_220159.jpg

dvderlm

If it is 92mm diameter, then I think any of the K&N  pancake style for Weber DMTx or Pierburg 2e carbs should fit.

GatisGirdenis
5 minutes ago, dvderlm said:

If it is 92mm diameter, then I think any of the K&N  pancake style for Weber DMTx or Pierburg 2e carbs should fit.

I probably wasnt clear enough, but the filter element isn't the issue. It's that the box comes awfully close to the firewall, to the point I cannot close one of the 6 latches for the top cover, and that's when I rotate it to be the furthest from it, as the filter box and the inlet itself is at an excentric placement.

I guess the original ABU intake manifold might be longer, but it didn't seem that way when I compared the engines while it was out of the car.

Might need to post a picture when I get to the car again

Are there bigger and smaller pancake style filter boxes? Maybe I have the bigger one and I can source out the smaller size

Edited by GatisGirdenis

dvderlm

The VW boxes are all big because they are inlet plenums and filter holders.

I meant one of these. It could rotate 180 degrees. Though might be 95mm hole not 92mm.

K&N carb bolt-on air filter: Vauxhall/VW Pierberg 2E (95mm hole) KN56-9159

But actually, I'm not sure where a MAF sensor would go, so maybe stupid idea.

Edited by dvderlm

GatisGirdenis
1 hour ago, dvderlm said:

The VW boxes are all big because they are inlet plenums and filter holders.

I meant one of these. It could rotate 180 degrees. Though might be 95mm hole not 92mm.

K&N carb bolt-on air filter: Vauxhall/VW Pierberg 2E (95mm hole) KN56-9159

But actually, I'm not sure where a MAF sensor would go, so maybe stupid idea.

I dont have a MAF sensor!

Gotta look into these, what would the price be roughly at?

Are there any downsides as it won't have the "plenum" part? Moving the powerband more in the higher range wouldnt be one, haha.

Also, I was wondering if a GK cam would be an upgrade for my ABU? And would it even fit?

dvderlm
33 minutes ago, GatisGirdenis said:

Also, I was wondering if a GK cam would be an upgrade for my ABU? And would it even fit?

Won't fit. GK is mechanical head with slot drive distributor.

ABU is hydraulic head (bucket tappet) with pin drive. 3F camshaft might be an upgrade

https://www.polotreff.de/forum/t/161549?op=1

dvderlm
1 hour ago, GatisGirdenis said:

I dont have a MAF sensor!

Gotta look into these, what would the price be roughly at?

Are there any downsides as it won't have the "plenum" part? Moving the powerband more in the higher range wouldnt be one, haha.

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=56-9159

says £95 new with a 25% discount :shock:.

(I've got  a used one I no longer need. I can dig it out and measure to be sure it fits and weigh for postage if you are interested.)

I also found this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORTLUFTFILTER-AIRBOX-FUR-2EE-2E3-VERGASER-VW-GOLF-II-JETTA-II-POLO-DERBY/282490286773

but that will touch firewall rotated 180.

Downsides:

Noisier. Last a million miles (just wash, dry and oil once a year).

Edited by dvderlm

GatisGirdenis
4 hours ago, dvderlm said:

Won't fit. GK is mechanical head with slot drive distributor.

ABU is hydraulic head (bucket tappet) with pin drive. 3F camshaft might be an upgrade

https://www.polotreff.de/forum/t/161549?op=1

Ah, oh well, might need to invest in a Schrick then, haha

3 hours ago, dvderlm said:

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=56-9159

says £95 new with a 25% discount :shock:.

(I've got  a used one I no longer need. I can dig it out and measure to be sure it fits and weigh for postage if you are interested.)

I also found this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPORTLUFTFILTER-AIRBOX-FUR-2EE-2E3-VERGASER-VW-GOLF-II-JETTA-II-POLO-DERBY/282490286773

but that will touch firewall rotated 180.

Downsides:

Noisier. Last a million miles (just wash, dry and oil once a year).

I looked at it on the K&N site as well, was a bit of a shocker, but somewhat expected. I can get it locally for 115€, so would pretty much cost as much as the swap itself, haha

If K&N's website isnt misleading, then it should be a 95mm, as the size where the lip is, is the same as my 1.05 (same filter box fits over both my old 1.05 and the 1.6 ABU.)

I will measure it tomorrow though, just to be sure.

I would be interested on how the inlet itself looks, if if can be rotated, as the original one is made to not rotate as it fits only one way.

And noise is good, at least in my book 

Edited by GatisGirdenis

dvderlm

It is 95mm hole. (my memory was wrong)

WIN_20181226_09_42_24_Pro.jpg.397fba5a81f3388f4de685f7151801c6.jpg

Power

WIN_20181226_09_48_41_Pro.jpg.f44f9ec9b2050866a62a1e98bf8ce441.jpg:WIN_20181226_09_45_46_Pro.jpg.cf83c4eb2694430600a161a0c14131fa.jpg

WIN_20181226_09_42_58_Pro.jpg.530aa19bbad1f3834e96c35ef8c55079.jpgWIN_20181226_09_45_08_Pro.jpg.745ab12bdc7aa397bd87b35f5abd58d9.jpg

WIN_20181226_09_46_49_Pro.jpg.c1e3ce38547a60a909df61694b584313.jpgWIN_20181226_09_47_01_Pro.jpg.1fdf1a5ab99c22df5518008967fd1247.jpgWIN_20181226_09_47_36_Pro.jpg.bbd5e12398284797c0856d21af75cb3e.jpg

dvderlm

The K&N leaflet says wash and re-oil every 50,000 to 100,000 miles, except in very dusty conditions which needs more frequent clean.

GatisGirdenis

Thanks to dvderlm got this bad boy

Fitted it this evening, took some thought as it wasnt a straight fit, but managed to do it without damaging the filter too much, just needed slight filing

FLdihOj.jpg

Edited by GatisGirdenis
  • Like 1

dvderlm

That looks awesome!

• Thanks 1