Sign in to follow this  
pie

Best gearbox for 6n2 1.0 mpi

pie

So, I’m looking at buying a 2000 6n2, 1.0 mpi.

Apparently it “needs a new gearbox” but have also been told “it was stuck in gear, and could be a selector issue”.

Now, this car will be a track car (keeping the 1.0 mpi) and potentially a daily (whilst my T4 gets some much needed loving).

So what gearbox would be best?

I am assuming the gear ratios are different from the 1.0 to the 1.4? Will a diesel gearbox fit - and are there any benefits, or boxes to avoid?

Anywhere I can find the ratios of the 6n2 boxes?

Many thanks in advance,

pie

nige8021

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/317419-085-gearbox-code-identification/

There are two PDF's I've posted with all the 085 ratio's, the 6N2 diesel box is an 02* so isn't a direct fit on the 6N2 petrol engines, (you can buy adapter plates) and it is a hydraulic clutch as opposed to the cable on the petrol models

pie

Brilliant, cheers for that info.

As I mentioned, I’m going to be using this as a track toy, and ideally I’d like the car to be able to hold 80-90 easily.

With that information, and using your knowledge, which gearbox would be best suited/would you go for?

dvderlm

1.0mpi  3door top speed is specified  as 94mph so standard gearbox should be fine.

Just keep a check on the oil level as  5th can wear quickly. 

Are you planning any suspension or braking or engine  mods ?

pie

Ah ok.

Im in the middle of buying this car and have been told it’s “stuck in gear”. 

Unsure whether this could be a selector issue, or the fact the gearbox is knackered.

Any suggestions as to what it could be are more than welcome.

Planning on upgrading both suspension and brakes, car will also be stripped out with 2 bucket seats, harness’ and a cage.

There are restrictions on what can be upgraded with regards to suspension, and it’s basically “no coilovers”. Dampers, springs and anti-roll bars are ok.

Engine wise, standard cams and crank, no bigger than 1049cc, and naturally aspirated, so I’ll be looking for suggestions for where to look for power gains - yes I know it’s a 1.0, but this is the whole point of the competition.

Probably going to go for GTi brakes, and with regards to wheels I can choose from 13’s, 14’s or 15’s due to tyre restriction.

Any help will be muchly appreciated.