Sign in to follow this  
zob

Whats that ticking?

zob

Gave my bready a bit of an Italian tuneup a few weeks back and since then there has been an intermittent ticking from the engine bay when warmed up - loud enough to be heard inside the cabin but obviously much louder when under the hood. I traced it by ear (as much as you can with these slightly paranoid goose chases) to that little green valve attached to the back of the engine bay. It has a couple of hoses going to it (one black, one transparent), both of which go to that cansiter on the bottom-left of the bay and an electrical connection. The ticking noise can be 'felt' through the pipes close to the unit - I assume its a valve ticking open and closed?

So the questions:

1) What is it? As far as I can see its something to do with the emissions control system

2) Is it knakered?

3) Any idea why it would be springing into this form of life after running the engine at 4k revs for 10 minutes?

I mean the engine runs great, never been better, so whatever it is it isn't really affecting anything. Happy to ignore it but equally happy to fix it!

steveo3002

4k being driven or on driveway?

zob
8 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

4k being driven or on driveway?

Being driven - doing 60 in 4th. 10 minutes might be an exaggeration, it was long enough to get it all breathing hard though!

Should also add that the ticking isn't related to engine speed - can hear it sometimes when revving and the ticking rate is the same

steveo3002

ah not related to engine speed is a good sign

hoping someone would tell you what the green thing does , far as i know its something to do with vacuum , a resovoir or something , mine doesnt have one 

nige8021

From your description is sounds like the carbon cannister valve and that does pulse on/off when the engine is hot

• Like 1

zob
5 hours ago, nige8021 said:

From your description is sounds like the carbon cannister valve and that does pulse on/off when the engine is hot

That sounds about right!

I try not to get too fixated on noises but it could well be that I just never noticed it before. Thanks!