Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

Hi all
I was looking for a little advice regarding my 2010 1.6tdi. It's been losing coolant over that last few months, not massive amounts but I'm having to top up from min to max every 500 - 700 miles or so. I've checked the following and can confirm:
No evidence of leak on the drive
No steam from exhaust
No rough idle
No sweet smells in the cabin
No contamination of oil on the cap or dip stick
No hiss from coolant tank when engine is cold.
I've taken it to a garage for a pressure test and they say they couldn't find any external leaks. They've suggested it's either a head gasket problem or the EGR cooler. Both extremely expensive and they can't say for sure which one is causing the problem, so I might spend the money only to find the problem still exists. 
I'm at a loss as to what to do. I asked them to do a head gasket sniffer test, but they said because my coolant tank looks stained/dirty it wouldn't be able to give an accurate indication??
If anyone is able to offer some advice, I'd be forever in your debt.
Thanks

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dg81

• nige8021

• dvderlm

• damunk

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The one on the expansion bottle is the pressure cap https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/2010-672/1/121-121086/#21    Looks like this  Might be Blue or Black

blue is the later design cap ..worth changing if black   you can get a uv dye kit on ebay for about £15 , use the torch to look for where its leaking if you cant suss it

Posted Images

nige8021

First Welcome to the Forum.

That seems a bit of lame excuse for not being able to do a "sniff test" the other option would be a compression test or get the cooling system pressure tested, have you tried a replacement cap for the coolant bottle ?

1 minute ago, nige8021 said:

First Welcome to the Forum.

That seems a bit of lame excuse for not being able to do a "sniff test" the other option would be a compression test or get the cooling system pressure tested, have you tried a replacement cap for the coolant bottle ?

Thanks for your reply. They did pressure test the cooling system but couldn't see any external leaks. I've not tried replacing the cap, is it possible that such a fault could lose that much coolant? I'll order a new one just in case. 

I thought it was an odd reason for not doing the sniff test, I'll buy a kit from eBay from Nige8021's suggestion.

Willing to try anything to avoid EGR or head gasket work.

nige8021

If the spring pressure in the cap is weak it could be venting the system and loosing your fluid, but only buy the replacement from VW/TPS as the likes of ECP/GSF their quality is suspect to say the least, I had three thermostat housings from ECP and they all failed at the same point.

7 minutes ago, nige8021 said:

If the spring pressure in the cap is weak it could be venting the system and loosing your fluid, but only buy the replacement from VW/TPS as the likes of ECP/GSF their quality is suspect to say the least, I had three thermostat housings from ECP and they all failed at the same point.

The only cap I can see is for the coolant tank (ie no cap on radiator), this coolant cap doesn't appear to have a spring or anything fancy and seems to be basic plastic with a pin hole. Is this the one I should change?

steveo3002

blue is the later design cap ..worth changing if black

you can get a uv dye kit on ebay for about £15 , use the torch to look for where its leaking if you cant suss it

• Like 1