1vw2many

Mk2f 1.3 cl head gasket help

1vw2many

Hi all got the dreaded oil leak on front left hand side of engine block oil running down block and onto alternator.

Did not expect this as only have 21000 on the clock anyhow what brand is best ? Was looking at elring brand. Advice welcome.

Many thanks.

kwijibo_coupe

Elring is OEM quality if not what VW used themselves. 

I've used the complete Elring headsets on a few cars now and don't have any complaints.

It is worth putting a smear of anaerobic sealant in that corner when you do the gasket swap to try and prevent it from happening again.

Without that I've seen the head gaskets start to leak there again after just a few thousand miles.

1vw2many

That's great news and thanks for the tip on sealant.

Apart from new head gasket set I need. 

New head bolts , head skimed , new cam belt , ?? 

kwijibo_coupe

Personally I would do all those. 

New head bolts are a given as they are stretch bolts so should be replaced.

A head skim if you are able to strip the head down, for the sake of £50 for a machine shop to do it it's worth it.

You have to loosen the cam belt and water pump anyway, just a case of undoing the 4 bolts on the bottom pulley and remove the plastic cover behind to free the belt completely. Takes an extra 5 minutes and the belt and pump shouldn't set you back much more than £30.

1vw2many

Yeah kinda thinking along the same lines about water pump and belt . Just came across a febi kit for £28 

steveo3002

you can check it with a steel ruler and a torch , doubtfull it needs a skim unless badly overheated , no point in skimming one for no reason 

1vw2many

Ok shall check it when it's off. Just ordered elring full gasket set. 

1vw2many

Gasket set arrived today. I have ordered head bolts and torque angle gauge tool. 

steveo3002

once you get to the angle stage i would suggest a dab of paint at 12 o clock on the bolt heads , ensures you dont forget one and they should all be the same when done...i dont bother with the tool myself , just as easy to eyeball it

• Like 1

1vw2many
7 minutes ago, steveo3002 said:

once you get to the angle stage i would suggest a dab of paint at 12 o clock on the bolt heads , ensures you dont forget one and they should all be the same when done...i dont bother with the tool myself , just as easy to eyeball i

Very kind of you for that tip. I went with the tool as it was not that expensive .

Weather and time is another concern as I be doing it outside . I'm ok though I have other transport.

steveo3002

yeah with the paint trick at least if the phone rings mid job or you drop the tools theres no way to forget one 

1vw2many

Just an updated I have all replacement parts now. Head gasket, head bolts, cam belt.

I did a compression test and all four are good readings 12bar / 175psi. 

Only a small amount of oil leaks from the weak corner above the alternator. This is the only problem I have with it . 

Is it the best thing to do replacement of head gasket before I tear it down? 

Think I read that a small amount of sealent is applied around that weak corner ? If so what do I need ?

Thank you.

steveo3002

i have used a smear of sealant on some of mine ..as for what , i used something like this i happened to already have not sure id spend ££ on it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elring-AFD2000-Anaerobic-surface-sealer-sealant-50ml-777-790-x1/263767684562?epid=518349619&hash=item3d69c775d2:g:yQ4AAOSwjVVV5Iil&frcectupt=true

whatever you decide on use the thinnest of smears not a blob

1vw2many

Yeah quite pricey 😐

steveo3002

yeah i got mine from a vauxhall dealer at one time part of the head /cam carriers just used that instead of a gasket and its liquid so seemed a okay choice

didnt bother last time i did the head ...will see how it holds up   

1vw2many

Hit and miss I think but for my mind's sake I shall end up buying some at some point. Cars sorn for a month so I have enough time to ponder of it lol.

steveo3002

yeah have a look round theres others that might be suitable 

1vw2many

I will now I know what to look for . Thanks again 

1vw2many

Now that's more manageable . Thanks you .

caretakerplus

Wellseal has been around since Adam was a lad, I'm no particular fan of it, but I have used it - nasty pong though.

I see Steveo has the same feeling as myself about angle tightening - it is just as easy by eye, and I find it better than juggling with the tool.

Regards