Notice to Hotmail/Gmail & BT Internet users - Please check your SPAM/JUNK folders for our emails. Please add our email as a contact to your email account.
Light/Dark Mode Enabled: You can now select the option by clicking the moon/lightbulb in the top right corner!

tappng noise with rpm - new cams - rebuild

new schrick camshafts making ticking noise? 

having to contend with all the smoke coming out of the back, fuel ratio not to bad for a first start got it up to 2000 rpm and kept it there 2 minutes then switched it off as the ticking noise from the cams increases with rpm and somethings not right.

are new cams supposed to make a noise until they have been run in?

im in the garage to there is echo but still i wanted a super quite drive train. new valves, guides, cotters, hyrdaulic lifter rockets and cams.

p.s ticking noise is tapping noise.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• damunk

• steveo3002

• dvderlm

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

just checked cams, n seem alright. lots of oil everywhere.

hard to tell where noise is coming from as in cab trying to keep revs to 2k rpm

only thing can be cams lobes gone flat which i dont know how visually u can check that,

piston slap noise?, new pistons.

so i would assume somethings up, i thought it might be the bedding in proccess not complete.

steveo3002

you can see a flat cam lobe....if you look at a good one theres a slight bevel /  on the edge , if thats gone on the points then its worn

are you sure its not just the tappets filling up?    

steveo,

it's the hydraulic rockers i have. afh engine , im not so good with terminology.

theres the cam, then the hydraulic tappet, 1 inch cylinder shape that sit on valve.

they could be filling up as they are new but i didnt want to take the risk so stopped the engine.

i ran it for 30-40 seconds. at 2000 rpm.

im not sure why there is need for them to fill up. i assume there's a tiny spring inside of them , that you can't see, that allows some "give" with the top of the valve stem.

Edited by damunk
steveo3002

ive had them bang loudly after being stood or engine apart , takes some time to fill them , other times silent after a couple of seconds

you can sometimes pin point a noise by leaning a long screwdriver against your ear and the other end various places along the engine  

steveo3002

usualy almost instant ..but like i say ive had to drive some engines until hot to shut em up , sounds fairly nasty and worrying too

Depends on oil temperature and viscosity. Should be quieter once gauge pressure dropped below 5ish bar.

Engine has got to get hot so the oil flows through that tiny hole and pushes hard against the cam lobe..

Did you do any prep to the new hydraulic tappets? lube then pump out.

Opinions divided whether this process is needed. 

yeah sounds nasty and worrying as i have been so particular in this build to get everything right, oil pressure is high 69-70 psi , but oil is cold, took rocker cover off. seem to be oil everywhere it should be.

dvd there not the type i have, it's these type and all i did was put joe gibbs thick grease around them but i bet most of that dried off, head was sat for 6 months in shrinkwrap lifter.jpg.94d56edd9fdebc836bab5c69eb7177e0.jpg

Edited by damunk
steveo3002

ive never messed about filling with oil etc with that style ..

if you want to take it apart then a good/pumped up one is rock hard , one thats dud or needs to fill will be soft

Edited by steveo3002

Might be some hard grease in a tappet hole stopping it filling/pressurising.

It will be like running with a bit too much valve clearance.

Should just be noisy until the grease melts/moves. It's not going to hit the cam lobe hard before that.

A valve will not open as far as it should. 

Can you press down on each tappet with rocker cover off to test how pumped it is - or is this a cam carrier head design? 

just had a mechanic round and the noise went after a minute, he said the engine sounds spot on. 

ran 5-6 minutes, 5 bar then went to just over 4 bar then......wait for it....

oil leak at crankseal flywheel/gearbox side.

gotta get engine out and gearbox out.

i did not put a gasket on the crankseal because there was a rubber lip on the innner side of the housing.

i did purchase a cardboard type gasket but it did not fit then. Plus when i saw the rubber lip i thought, what's the point of a gasket when there is a rubber lip there.

i've cocked up somewhere here obviously. oh well. atleast engine ran lol

Edited by damunk