G40 - Won't start/turn over

lectrotek

Hi all,

Came out the other day to give the G a blast after a couple of days standing and it's completely dead.

Dashboard lights/radio/headlights all come on but no turn over. Not even a solenoid click

I can also hear an electrical motor sound toward the rear which i presume is the fuel pump. 

I don't think it's the battery as all the electrics work and i've tried jumping it with a battery pack. 

Anyone got a clue what might be up? My mechanic skills are a work in progress so it's all a learning curve!

any imobilsers fitted?

see if the thin wire to the starter (think its blk/blue)  has 12v when the key is at crank 

Drop a hot wire down to the solenoid and see if it spins the starter. If it does - wiring problem. If it doesn't - starter or battery problem. 

Also, try the key by itself without the rest of the bunch. Might be the contacts behind the ignition barrel getting worn. Again, reasonably easy to hot wire to eliminate, but forgive me if I don't post how on the Internet. 

On 27/01/2019 at 09:54, Yeti said:

Drop a hot wire down to the solenoid and see if it spins the starter. If it does - wiring problem. If it doesn't - starter or battery problem. 

Also, try the key by itself without the rest of the bunch. Might be the contacts behind the ignition barrel getting worn. Again, reasonably easy to hot wire to eliminate, but forgive me if I don't post how on the Internet. 

I think that it is far too late to worry about that, mate  - All of the crooks already know, and can probably do it quicker than you could describe the method. 😊

• Like 1

Not going by last time I saw the results of someone trying to hotwire one. From memory they wired the speakers into the cold side of the ignition wiring, gave up, broke into the other mk2 Polo next to it, pulled the wires out, realised it was the same and ran away 😂

Enough time has past for it not to be current knowlege in that field

Now itts about which ones you can do with home brew electronics or ones thay have to have a key

Perhaps with keyless this and keyless that, it is about time we went back to starting handles - that'd slow 'em down 🙂

Regards

You'd also need a bevel gear to turn the corner, otherwise the starting handle would have to pass through the O/S/F road wheel !

Regards