Danwedges

No oil light am I missing something?

Danwedges

So far I've not had my oil light working, doesn't illuminate when ignition is on and doesn't illuminate when wire is earthed. Initially I thought it must be a break on the pcb on the clocks but I've had them apart tonight to fix a sticky speedo and it looks like I'm missing something?

I've attached pictures showing where there appears to be a missing connector on the back of the speedo or are they not supposed to be plugged into anything?

20190211_011557.jpg

20190211_011644.jpg

20190211_011700.jpg

dvderlm

I think that's where the J114 circuit board fits.. it's L-shaped with pins to match the socket with an open relay buzzer on the side of the speedo which sounds when pressure below 1.8 bar above 2000rpm and the normal low pressure oil light.

I worked out which single wire to cut when the high pressure circuit starts giving false alarms. Looks like someone removed the whole board.

Edited by dvderlm
socket not docket mr spelchecker

dvderlm

for more info

Danwedges

My car is an early mk2 with only 1 oil pressure switch u think is there any difference between these j114 boards? Or can I take one off any VW speedo?

dvderlm

I think Golf mk2 VDO clocks had the same module, so presumably Jetta/Passat of same era (1985 ish).

Looking at the Haynes 1982 circuit diagram for CL or GL models you don't get a J114.

14 way connector pin 14 black provides 12volts and pin 9 is black and white cable to low pressure switch F1.

Between the two is the oil light K3. I assume it is a resistor (~500ohms) and an LED. 

The 1983 on C, CL, GL and Coupe get a J114. Yellow goes to high pressure oil switch. Black and white to low pressure.

It looks like K3 has a protective Zener diode too.

Perhaps your LED is dead?

Edited by dvderlm

Danwedges

I think mine is a 1982 polo c I have a Haynes manual but I cant make heads nor tails of wiring diagrams unless clearly labelled and in colour Haha

It is very possible that my led is dead although visually it looks fine are they replaceable or would I need to source another set of clocks?

dvderlm

LEDs are just about indestructible and will still be glowing as the sun burns out.

If you can desolder and solder I don't see why not. Just need to fit new one correct way around.

(flat on one side for cathode or anode lead) and same colour so similar forward voltage rating or you will need to

tweak the resistor value.

First check the wire has conductivity from switch to connector 9.

And trace connections to resistor from pin 9 of the multiway conducts to one side ofLED.

And from pin 14 to other side.

I guess the resistors are on top of the flexible circuit board.

You could unsolder the LED and replace it.

Edited by dvderlm

dvderlm

Polo c - poverty spec. Definitely an LED not a bump of plastic?

dvderlm

Any broken tracks on the flexible PCB?

The track 4th from left at top of your picture looks dodgy. That might just be the photo.  

Danwedges

Yeah they're definitely LEDs I'm not sure of any broken tracks, no obvious breaks or cracks in the pcb